Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
John bought a new car. He had taken a loan of seven lakh rupees from the bank. He had to pay installments/ EMI for four years that were very high. Initially he paid the EMI easily but later because of some economic difficulty he couldn't pay EMI. He wrote an application to the bank manager telling his condition and asking to extend the EMI time span to eight years which was four years earlier. He also asked them to reduce the amount of EMI/ installments so that he could pay them easily.

Please check my sentences.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Who's your audience? I only heard the word lakh used when I came into regular contact with South Asians. If you are talking to a wider English-speaking audience, I'd recommend you avoid such terms.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
The BrE spelling is "instalment" with one "l", which I think is used in India.
What is "lakh" and EMI?

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Who's your audience? I only heard the word lakh used when I came into regular contact with South Asians. If you are talking to a wider English-speaking audience, I'd recommend you avoid such terms.

John bought a new car. He had taken a loan of seven hundred thousand rupees from the bank. He had to pay instalments/ EMI for four years that were very high. Initially he paid the EMI easily but later because of some economic difficulty he couldn't pay EMI. He wrote an application to the bank manager telling his condition and asking to extend the EMI time span to eight years which was four years earlier. He also asked them to reduce the amount of EMI/ installments so that he could pay them easily.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
The BrE spelling is "instalment" with one "l", which I think is used in India.
What is "lakh" and EMI?

100000 this is one lakh or one hundred thousand. EMI means equated monthly instalment.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What is an "equated monthly instalment"? I know what a "monthly instalment" is. It's the word "equated" that has confused me here.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
To me, "taken out a loan" works better than "taken a loan".

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
To me, "taken out a loan" works better than "taken a loan".

John bought a new car. He had taken out a loan of seven hundred thousand rupees from the bank. He had to pay instalments/ EMI for four years that were very high. Initially he paid the EMI easily but later because of some economic difficulty he couldn't pay EMI. He wrote an application to the bank manager telling his condition and asking to extend the EMI time span to eight years which was four years earlier. He also asked them to reduce the amount of EMI/ installments so that he could pay them easily.

Could you please check it now?

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
What is an "equated monthly instalment"? I know what a "monthly instalment" is. It's the word "equated" that has confused me here.

It means you will have to pay a certain amount until you finish paying the instalments. There will be no change in the amount until the last instalment has been paid.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Ah, so "equal monthly instalments" in BrE.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Or "fixed monthly instalments"

Lynxear

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

I cannot help but notice that your response is not a sentence. Perhaps it is understandable in conversational English but is that what you are trying to teach here?

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I cannot help but notice that your response is not a sentence. Perhaps it is understandable in conversational English but is that what you are trying to teach here?

Lynxear sir, I do not have any right to say anything because I am just a learner. You are a teacher for me but EMS has been a very good teacher. She along with others have taught me a lot of good things. But after all we are all human beings we do make mistakes.

Could you please help me with my sentences? Nobody has checked my sentences. Could you please tell me what amendments can be made?

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

Could you please help me correct these sentences? Nobody has checked them. Please tell me what are my mistakes.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
John bought a new car. He had taken out a loan of seven hundred thousand rupees from the bank. He had to pay instalments/ EMI for four years, that were very high. Initially he paid the EMI easily but later,because of some economic difficulty, he couldn't [STRIKE]pay EMI[/STRIKE]. He wrote [STRIKE]an application[/STRIKE] a letter to the bank manager [STRIKE]telling his condition[/STRIKE]explaining his problem and asking to [STRIKE]extend the EMI time span[/STRIKE] to have the payment period extended to eight years [STRIKE]which was four years earlier.[/STRIKE] He also asked [STRIKE]them [/STRIKE] him (the bank manager) to reduce the amount of the EMI/ instal[STRIKE]l[/STRIKE]ments so that he could pay them easily.(It is understood that the instalment amount is reduced if payment is spread over a longer period)

Please tell me what [STRIKE]are[/STRIKE] my mistakes are.

Status
Not open for further replies.