Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Do "might have" and "could have" have two different meanings?

First meaning: Let's say I come my home and see my brother isn't at home. And I say "He might/could have gone to a cinema." (In this case, I don't know whether my brother went to cinema, I just guesses he went to cinema)

Second meaning: Let's say I'm at home. And my brother comes home. And he tells he went to a cinema. And I say "You might/could have gone to a theatre" (In this case, I know he went to a cinema, but emphasise another choice he could do.

So in that case, do "might have" and "could have" have two different meanings?

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Not a teacher.

The way I see it, we use 'could' in a context of this kind when someone COULD physically do something in the past but DID NOT do it for some reason.

Example:
He could have gone to the movies. But he went to the gym instead.

On to 'might' now. This verb implies the POSSIBILITY that someone did something in the past.
Example:
- He might have gone to the movies.
- No. He went to the gym.

Last edited by a moderator:

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Do "might have" and "could have" have two different meanings?

First meaning: Let's say I come my home and see my brother isn't at home. And I say "He might/could have gone to a cinema." (In this case, I don't know whether my brother went to cinema, I just guesses he went to cinema)

Second meaning: Let's say I'm at home. And my brother comes home. And he tells he went to a cinema. And I say "You might/could have gone to a theatre" (In this case, I know he went to a cinema, but emphasise another choice he could do.

1) might/could have gone

2) might/could have gone

ringu20

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
But "could" can be used in a sentence that emphasises the possibility in the present time.(such as "My notebook could be in my bag") I think if "could" can be used in the possibilities in the present, then "could have" may be used in possibilities in the past.

"Might have" can be used in the past conditonals of if clauses. (such as "If I had studied hard, I might have passed the exam") So if it can be used in this situation, I think it can also be used in my example sentence.

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

In these sentences, yes.

The first sentence speculates about where he is currently. You can use either could or might for this.

The second sentence says what was a possible course of action in the past. Use could for this.

Last edited:

ringu20

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
The second sentence says what was a possible course of action in the past. Use could for this.

But don't we use "might have" in the past conditionals of if clauses? (like "If I had studied hard, I might have passed the exam) So wouldn't it also be correct in my second example sentence?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
But don't we use "might have" in the past conditionals of if clauses? (like "If I had studied hard, I might have passed the exam) So wouldn't it also be correct in my second example sentence?

In your second example, which is clearly not a past conditional, you know full well that your brother did not go to the theatre. Use could in this case.

ringu20

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
So I can use "could have" in my both examples. But I can use "might have" only in my first example?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
st

NOT A TEACHER

Hello, Ringu:

One scholar says that "might have" + past participle = could have happened but did not; "may have" + past participle = could have happened but we do not know yet.

Therefore, I am guessing that this scholar would prefer in your first sentence something like: "Where is my brother? I don't know, but he may have gone to a movie."

And I am guessing that you used "might" correctly in your second sentence.

This scholar says that many British and American speakers no longer observe this difference.

Source: John Honey, Language is Power ​(1997), pages 158 - 159.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Bennevis, when replying to posts, please state that you are not a teacher, in accordance with the forum's Posting Guidelines.

Status
Not open for further replies.