He studies very hard ___________ he can’t get high marks.

murat guler

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Hi All

I have seen a test question recently. It is...

“He studies very hard____________he can’t get high marks.”

a) because b) and c) but d) or

The answer key says "c" is the correct answer but I couldn't understand why "a" is not also acceptable. It seems to me that this question has two correct answers. Am I right?

If not please explain

Thanks

Hi, all. (Note that there is no need for a greeting of any kind. Just go straight in with your question.)

I have seen a saw the following test question recently. It is...

“He studies very hard ____________ he can’t get high marks.”
a) because
b) and
c) but
d) or

The answer key says "c" is the correct answer but I couldn't don't understand why "a" is not also acceptable. It seems to me that this question has two correct answers. Am I right? If not, please explain.

Thanks. (Unnecessary. Thank us after we help you, by adding the "Thanks" icon to any response you find useful.
Please note my corrections and comments above, and my improvement to the layout of the post (particularly the list of options).

I agree with you that both a) and c) lead to grammatical sentences. Logically though, c) makes much more sense. To use "because", it would be more likely to be written as "... because he hasn't got high marks recently" or similar.

I don't think a) makes much sense. I'd definitely count it as an incorrect answer.

You could also say:

He studies hard, but he doesn't get high marks."

Back