Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
I told him to stay on the path while he was hiking, but he wandered off into the forest and was bitten by a snake.
https://www.englishpage.com/verbpage/verbs5.htm

Is it possible to use the present perfect instead of the past simple in the underlined part? There is no context in the exercise where I've got this sentence, so I'm curious if there could be any context where the present perfect would be correct. Say, the wandered are still in the forest or wherever they are and let the speaker know about their situation by phone. What do you think? Is it possible?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I told him to stay on the path while he was hiking, but he wandered off into the forest and was bitten by a snake.
https://www.englishpage.com/verbpage/verbs5.htm

Is it possible to use the present perfect instead of the past simple in the underlined part? There is no context in the exercise where I've got this sentence, so I'm curious if there could be any context where the present perfect would be correct. Say, the wanderer is still in the forest or wherever they are and lets the speaker know about their situation by phone. What do you think? Is it possible?

Sure.

Me: Help! I've been bitten by a snake!
You: What was it?
Me: A snake! I already told you.
You: Well, where are you?
Me: Well, there are a bunch of trees around. In fact, there are trees in every direction. Does that help?
You: No, it doesn't help at all

(Ron needs to go back to bed. ;-) )

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It would be perfectly acceptable to say "I told him to stay on the path while he was hiking, but he wandered off into the forest and [now] [he] has been bitten by a snake!" In fact, I would be more likely to use the present perfect there.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Yes. The context you provide is an appropriate one.

I told him to stay on the path but he has wandered off into the forest and (has) been bitten by a snake.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The present perfect is possible in the last two verbs. If you use it, the wandering and getting bit happened very recently. If you stick with the past simple, they could be any time in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.