He was tired because he didn't sleep/he hadn't slept.

Status
Not open for further replies.

the batman learner

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
"He was tired because he didn't sleep or hadn't slept"
"I was hungry because I didn't eat or hadn't eaten"
What's the difference here and what's more, correct?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You could say: "I didn't sleep at all last night." You could also say: "I'm tired because I haven't slept." (You can be tired without being sleepy or vice versa.)

You could say: "I was hungry because I hadn't eaten all day." Or you could say: "I didn't eat the carrots because I don't like carrots."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
1. He was tired because he didn't sleep. or hadn't slept
2. He was tired because he hadn't slept.
I was hungry because I didn't eat. or hadn't eaten
4. I was hungry because I hadn't eaten.

What's the difference here between them and what's more, are they both grammatically correct?
Note my changes above. Remember to end every sentence with an appropriate punctuation mark. Please write out each variation of sentences in full and number them so that it's easier for us to refer to them in our responses.
You'll hear all of them in BrE but 2 and 4 are the most natural.

the batman learner

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Note my changes above. Remember to end every sentence with an appropriate punctuation mark. Please write out each variation of sentences in full and number them so that it's easier for us to refer to them in our responses.
You'll hear all of them in BrE but 2 and 4 are the most natural.
Bro I have 3 questions: I saw someone using "he was upset because he didn't pass the exam" why didn't he use hadn't here? 2nd question: he died because he didn't eat for 30 days, or he hadn't eaten for 30 days? what's better here? 3rd question: he was tired because he didn't sleep a night before or hadn't slept a night before? what's correct here?

the batman learner

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
You could say: "I didn't sleep at all last night." You could also say: "I'm tired because I haven't slept." (You can be tired without being sleepy or vice versa.)

You could say: "I was hungry because I hadn't eaten all day." Or you could say: "I didn't eat the carrots because
he ate at 7am morning and he was hungry at 5pm evening so what would i say?
he was hungry because he didn't eat or hadn't eaten?

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
I saw someone using "he was upset because he didn't pass the exam" why didn't he use hadn't here?
I'd have preferred "hadn't passed" but you'll hear "didn't pass" too. Did you read post #3?
2nd question: he died because he didn't eat for 30 days, or he hadn't eaten for 30 days? what's better here?
As above.
3rd question: he was tired because he didn't sleep a night before or hadn't slept a night before? what's correct here?
Neither. He was tired because he hadn't slept the (not "a") night before/the previous night. You may also hear "didn't sleep".

He was hungry because he hadn't eaten since 7 in the morning.

Please start all sentences with a capital letter. That's a much more basic thing than knowing the difference between "didn't" and "hadn't".

Last edited:

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
Bro I have 3 questions:
I suggest you don't use "Bro" when you're asking for help from a stranger on the internet. I'm sure you mean to be friendly but it isn't really appropriate, and also you may not know if the person you're addressing is male or female.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
He ate at seven in the morning, and he was hungry again at five in the evening. (One possibility.)
He was hungry because he hadn't eaten all day. (One possibility.)

Are you paying attention to the responses?

the batman learner

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
oh, sorry for that bro word but I asked when I don't want to say time Like all day or 2 days, I just want to tell the information and reason of him being tired and hungry so what would I use then?
He was hungry because he didn't eat.
He was hungry because he hadn't eaten.
no time reference or duration.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
See posts 2 and 3.

Your other sentences also use the same structure. Changing the specific words won't change the answer.

the batman learner

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
oh, sorry I didn't see that one thanks

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
oh, sorry for that bro word but I asked when I don't want to say time Like all day or 2 days, I just want to tell the information and reason of him being tired and hungry so what would I use then?
He was hungry because he didn't eat.
He was hungry because he hadn't eaten.
no time reference or duration.
He was tired. He was tired because he had been working all day.

He was hungry. He was hungry because he hadn't eaten in quite awhile.

What do those sentences have in common?

the batman learner

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
I don't know what common but if it's in present we say he was hungry because he didn't eat (we have a specific time in mind when he didn't eat sometimes you know we don't say that so if it's in past and he was tired because he didn't eat. can't we say like this I mean I am talking about specific time before he was hungry just not referring like maybe you understand what I mean) I just want to give information he didn't eat like so when it's in double past and also, I want to refer specific time so what would I use there? past simple or perfect

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@the batman learner One thing those sentences have in common is punctuation.

Your stream of consciousness posts are confusing at best.

It would better if you decide what you want to say and then say it. Is pointless to post a bunch of random, unconnected thoughts.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Bro I have 3 questions:

1. I saw someone using "He was upset because he didn't pass the exam". Why didn't he use "hadn't" here?
2nd question: 2. "He died because he didn't eat for 30 days" or "He died because he hadn't eaten for 30 days". What's better here?
3rd question: 3. "He was tired because he didn't sleep a the night before" or "H was tired because he hadn't slept a the night before". What's correct here?
1. Both "didn't pass" and "hadn't passed" are possible. "Hadn't pass" is not possible (which is what you suggested).
2. Both are possible.
3. Both are possible.
Oh, sorry for that using "bro". word

but
I asked was asking what I should say when I don't want to say time give a timeframe, Like such as "all day" or "for two days". I just want to tell give the information and the reason of for him being tired and hungry. so what would I use then?

1. He was hungry because he didn't eat.
2. He was hungry because he hadn't eaten.
no I don't want to use a time reference or duration.
Both sentences 1 and 2 above are possible.

Oh, sorry. I didn't see that one. Thanks.
You really need to work on your capitalisation and punctuation.
I don't know what's common but if it's in the present, we say "He was hungry because he didn't eat" - we have a specific time in mind when he didn't eat.

S
ometimes you know we don't say that so if it's in past and he was tired because he didn't eat. can't we say like this I mean I am talking about specific time before he was hungry just not referring like maybe you understand what I mean) I just want to give information he didn't eat like so when it's in double past and also, I want to refer specific time so what would I use there? past simple or perfect
The whole section in blue is incomprehensible because you've written it as one long sentence.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
As I've said a couple of times before, you need to work on your capitalisation and punctuation. Even a sentence as short as "Thanks" needs both. Write down the following rules of written English and follow them at all times:

- Start every sentence with a capital letter.
- End every sentence with an appropriate punctuation mark.
- Always put a space after a comma, full stop, question mark or exclamation mark.
- Never put a space before a comma, full stop, question mark or exclamation mark.

Also, bear in mind that there is absolutely no need to write a new post to thank anyone. If you hover your cursor over the "Like" button, you will see a "Thanks" icon pop up. Simply add that to any post you find helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.