Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I wonder if the following passive voices are correct and natural.

1) He was watched to sign the document.
→ They watched him sign the document.
2) Amy was heard to tell a joke.
→ They heard Amy tell a joke.
3) He was seen to break the window.
→ They saw him break the window.
4) The house was felt to shake.
→ They felt the house shake.
5) Tom was noticed to pick up the purse.
→ They noticed Tom pick up the purse.

I am a qualified/certified English teacher, but I still need to improve my English ability. I appreciate your help and kindness.

Please put that information in a signature line. To do that, click Settings, scroll down to Edit Signature and copy that line in the space provided.

Next, go back to Settings, click Edit Profile, scroll down to Member Type and select English Teacher.

Who is making you spend so much time constructing unnatural passive sentences? We use the passive voice much less frequently than most teachers seem to think we do.

Last edited:
They are all incorrect and mostly incomprehensible. Your time would be better spent studying some other aspect of English.

I am a qualified/certified English teacher, but I still need to improve my English ability. I appreciate your help and kindness.

And one of the most important things you can teach your students is that, regardless of what it says in a lot of textbooks, we use the passive much less frequently than students are led to believe. Teach them just enough to get through an exam and spend no more time on it.

The first sentence in each instance is something nobody would ever say. But then you demonstrate that you understand the active voice version quite well. I suggest that if want to work on passive voice then post active voice sentences and ask for their passive voice equivalents (if there are any).

I think you will find that the active voice version is usually more natural. And the passive voice version can be quite strained.

1) He was watched to sign the document. :cross:
→ They watched him sign the document. :tick:
No natural passive version is possible.
However, "watch" can be used passively, as in:
The match was watched by millions of viewers.

2) Amy was heard to tell a joke. :cross:
→ They heard Amy tell a joke. :tick:
You can say:
Amy was heard telling a joke.

3) He was seen to break the window. :cross:
→ They saw him break the window. :tick:
You can say:
He was seen breaking the window.

4) The house was felt to shake. :cross:
→ They felt the house shake. :tick:
However, it is possible to use "feel" in the passive, as in:
The earthquake was felt across the entire state.

5) Tom was noticed to pick up the purse. :cross:
→ They noticed Tom pick up the purse. :tick:
However, it is possible to use "notice" in the passive, as in:
He was noticed by a talent hunter at an early age.

You could say He was watched signing the document, but it's hard to think why you would use the passive here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know the passive voice is used much less frequently than the active voice, but I have read the usages in some textbooks, and I found the following sentences on the Internet, so I need to make sure.
1) He was seen to enter the building about the time the crime was committed.
2) He was once seen to come out of the place.
3) John was heard to leave the room.
4) Someone was heard to come up the stairs.

I know the passive voice is used much less frequently than the active voice, but I have read the usages in some textbooks, and I found the following sentences on the Internet, so I need to make sure.
You'll find all kinds of sentences on the internet. Also, note that in some legal contexts, the passive is used more often than in ordinary situations.

Also, note that in some legal contexts, the passive is used more often than in ordinary situations.

Absolutely. The first example reminded me of the sort of thing you hear in police reports or similar. For example:

We believe that the individual was seen leaving the building by several passers-by.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back