Student or Learner
Native Language
Quechua
Home Country
Qatar
Current Location
Argentina
Hi All,

I would like to know the difference between help (somebody) to do something and help (somebody) do something?

EngFan

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Re: What is the difference between help (sb) to do sth and help (sb) do sth?

There's no difference.

Please use the Edit Post feature to change 'sb' to 'somebody' and 'sth' to 'something'.

We don't want other students to think these non-standard abbreviations are acceptable here.

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan

There's no difference.

Please use the Edit Post feature to change 'sb' to 'somebody' and 'sth' to 'something'.

We don't want other students to think these non-standard abbreviations are acceptable here.

Hello, Rover.:-D

I'm not really sure they are non-standard or not:
Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary: International Student's Edition and CD-ROM with Oxford iWriter: Joanna Turnbull, Diana Lea, Dilys Parkinson, Patrick Phillips, Ben Francis, Suzanne Webb, Victoria Bull, Michael Ashby: 9780194799140: Amazo#_

(Could you click on 'LOOK INSIDE', please? I've actually seen them used in several English-English dictionaries.)

I wholeheartedly agree with you that incomprehensible/incorrect abbreviations should be avoided here.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Those abbreviations are regularly used in dictionaries (and similar publications) because there is limited space. However, we like all words to be written out in full on the site because it is less confusing to beginners. Learners on the site who are not familiar with these definitions might be completely flummoxed by the use of "sb" and "sth" - they might try to look those up as proper words. Even when they know that they are abbreviations, they still might to try and use them in normal writing. Some abbreviations are perfectly acceptable in standard writing ("etc" for example) but "sb" and "sth" are not.

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan

Those abbreviations are regularly used in dictionaries (and similar publications) because there is limited space. However, we like all words to be written out in full on the site because it is less confusing to beginners. Learners on the site who are not familiar with these definitions might be completely flummoxed by the use of "sb" and "sth" - they might try to look those up as proper words. Even when they know that they are abbreviations, they still might to try and use them in normal writing. Some abbreviations are perfectly acceptable in standard writing ("etc" for example) but "sb" and "sth" are not.

I agree.

"I saw sb enter my house last night. / I felt sth crawling up my back. " is not acceptable at all.

I'd like to offer my deepest apology for my recent thread, where I used these abbreviations.

Status
Not open for further replies.