Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Need help, not sure about this phrase in Electric Kool Aid acid tests.

Original texts from the Chapter 1:

"Here comes a beautiful one, attaché case and all, the day-is-done resentful look and the ... shoes—how they shine!—and what the hell are these beatnik ninnies—and Lois plugs him in the old marshmallow and he goes streaming and bouncing down the hill..."

1. What does the Here comes a beautiful one mean? means what happen next is beautiful/funny? or this person with attache case is beautiful?
2. that does the the "day is done resentful look "suppose to mean here? it means he just finished his daily job and he is tired or it means he saw those hippies it made him fell the world is ending?
3. So at end from my understanding, he got punched by one of the "beatnik ninnies"?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I need help. I'm not sure about this some phrases in Electric Kool Aid acid tests. What does the underlined part mean? Is it the name of a book, film, TV show etc?

Original texts text from the Chapter 1:

"Here comes a beautiful one, attaché case and all, the day-is-done resentful look and the ... shoes—how they shine!—and what the hell are these beatnik ninnies—and Lois plugs him in the old marshmallow and he goes streaming and bouncing down the hill..."

1. What does the "Here comes a beautiful one" mean? Does it means that what happens next is beautiful/funny no question mark here or that this person with the attaché case is beautiful?
2. What does the the "day-is-done resentful look" suppose to mean here? Does it means mean he just finished his daily job and he is tired or does it means mean he saw those hippies and it made him fell feel the world is ending?
3. So At the end, from my understanding as I understand it, he got punched by one of the "beatnik ninnies". Am I right?
Please note my multiple corrections above.

Before we answer, please clarify what the underlined part means. If you've quoted a book or film etc, you must give the title and author/writer.

ehwdm

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Please note my multiple connections above.

Before we answer, please clarify what the underlined part means. If you've quoted a book or film etc, you must give the title and author/writer.

Thank you very much for your correction. The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test is a book by Tom Wolfe.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The "beautiful one" is carrying an attaché case.

Thanks @Piscean

(Damn autocorrect. 🙁)

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you very much for your corrections. The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test is a book by Tom Wolfe.
Thank you for providing the source. This information needs to be in post #1 every time you quote someone else's words. Make sure you capitalise titles correctly (as you did in post #3). In post #1, you failed to capitalise "Acid" and "Test". Titles should either be in italics (as I have done above) or in quotation marks.