[Idiom] If anyone of them comes here....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I invited some of my friends to a local English club but I didn't know if they would show up. When I arrived at the English club, I think "If anyone of them comes here, I'll cover the drink for them". (Everyone is required to buy drinks there.)

Is the italic sentence natural?

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I invited some of my friends to a local English club meeting, but I didn't know if they would show up. When I arrived at the English club meeting, I thought, [STRIKE]"[/STRIKE]If any of them come[STRIKE]s[/STRIKE] here, I'll cover the drink for them[STRIKE]"[/STRIKE]. (Everyone is required to buy drinks there.)

Is the italic sentence natural?
It's a little confusing. Are they required to buy one drink or more?

- If they're required to buy one, then "I'll cover the drink" works, but "required to buy drinks" should be "required to buy a drink."

- If they're required to buy more than one, then "required to buy drinks" is fine but you'll have to make "I'll cover the drink" plural or change it to "a drink."

Most writers today don't put quotation marks around unspoken thoughts. You mostly just see it in old books.

Last edited:

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
They're required to buy one drink.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Are you offering to pay for that one drink for them, or for all their drinks all evening?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I take it you mean you'll cover the cost of the one drink they have to buy to get in. I'd say this:

If any of them come, I'll cover their drink.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Are you offering to pay for that one drink for them, or for all their drinks all evening?

Sorry for the delay. We usually only drink once there. So, I should say "pay for that one drink for them".

I take it you mean you'll cover the cost of the one drink they have to buy to get in. I'd say this:

If any of them come, I'll cover their drink.

Yes. Much appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.