Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
What´s the difference between to put a hex on somebody and to put a jinx on somebody? Although offensive, are these expressions common in everyday English? Can I use either in a humorous way, without sounding rude?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What´s the difference between to put a hex on somebody and to put a jinx on somebody? Although offensive, are these expressions common in everyday English? Can I use either in a humorous way, without sounding rude?

A hex is usually much worse than a jinx. If you put a jinx on someone, it's meant to be a little curse, causing them to fall prey to minor misfortunes or bad luck. A hex is a magic spell, or curse, which is supposed to seriously harm the person.

Neither of them are exactly common expressions, though there's nothing wrong with them and I certainly wouldn't class them as offensive.

We usually do use them humorously. For example, if someone has a few unlucky things happen to them in a short period of time, they (or someone else) might say that they've been "jinxed".

Some people believe that if you actually say something good might happen, then you have just put a jinx on it. For example:

Person 1 - I'm going to the beach today. I'm sure it's not going to rain.
Person 2 - Oh great! You've just jinxed that! It's guaranteed to rain now!

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Some people believe that if you actually say something good might happen,

In Turkish, we say; If you say something forty times, it happens.:)

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
emsr2d2 said it - but in brief the main difference between the two is that a hex is an offensive 'weapon' and a jinx is supposed to bring bad luck accidentally.

b

beachboy

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
"You´re meeting your new girlfriend tonight? She´s gonna dump you! She´s gonna dump you!" Is it an example of putting a jinx on somebody? Can you give an example of putting a hex on somebody?

Status
Not open for further replies.