Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Can we say a highway connects two cities or towns and a freeway connects different places within cities?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Not in the United States.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
The principal difference between a highway and a freeway is limited access on freeways. A highway may have traffic lights, cross streets, railway crossings, bicycles and stop signs. A freeway has none of those things. Therefore freeways generally have higher speed limits. Freeways also usually have central boulevards separating the lanes for each of the two opposite directions (called dual carriageways, I believe, in the UK.)

By the way, freeway is an American term. In BrE they are called motorways.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Freeways also usually have central boulevards separating the lanes for each of the two opposite directions (called dual carriageways, I believe, in the UK.)

A road does not have to be a freeway/motorway to be a dual carriageway in the UK- dual carriageway means that there are two lanes on each side of the road. Most motorways have three lanes on each side.

Yankee

Banned
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The principal difference between a highway and a freeway is limited access on freeways. A highway may have traffic lights, cross streets, railway crossings, bicycles and stop signs. A freeway has none of those things. Therefore freeways generally have higher speed limits. Freeways also usually have central boulevards separating the lanes for each of the two opposite directions (called dual carriageways, I believe, in the UK.)

By the way, freeway is an American term. In BrE they are called motorways.

I think "highway" is the more common term for any high speed, limited access road in the U. S. on which one would never find bicycles, stop signs, railway crossings or "cross streets". But "freeway" and "highway" might frequently be used interchangeably.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
...and the word 'freeway' is not used at all in the UK.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'd like to ask a question here.

Is 'expressway' American English?
Yes.

This has been discussed here before, but it's been a few years. In the US, a limited-access divided highway with no traffic lights might be called:

- a freeway
- an expressway
- an Interstate
- a highway
- a parkway
- a quickway (rare)
- a turnpike

Some have specialized meanings, which vary from state to state. Interstates are part of the Interstate Highway System and usually managed by the states they're in: Interstate Highways

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Kansas City, Missouri has trafficways.

Yankee

Banned
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes.

This has been discussed here before, but it's been a few years. In the US, a limited-access divided highway with no traffic lights might be called:

- a freeway
- an expressway
- an Interstate
- a highway
- a parkway
- a quickway (rare)
- a turnpike

Some have specialized meanings, which vary from state to state. Interstates are part of the Interstate Highway System and usually managed by the states they're in: Interstate Highways

And I forgot to include "thruway" in my previous post.

Status
Not open for further replies.