... his blackmail attempt is further reason for Europeans to keep him out of their club

yabi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
meaning of blackmail in following sentence

Despite the last-minute deal on Sweden and NATO, his blackmail attempt is further reason for Europeans to keep him out of their club.'

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What is the meaning of "blackmail" in the following sentence?

Despite the last-minute deal on Sweden and NATO, his blackmail attempt is further reason for Europeans to keep him out of their club.'

Source:
Please note my corrections above. I have changed your thread title. Titles should contain a large portion of a sentence you're asking us about. Your actual request/question should appear only in the main body of the post.

Have you looked up "blackmail" in several good dictionaries? If not, please do so. If you have, tell us why you still don't understand the sentence.

Why does "Are you a robot?" appear in the source line? The article makes no mention of that phrase. The source line should have read "Bloomberg - Erdogan's Nato Sweden blackmail dooms Turkey's EU membership" (the title in the URL of the relevant webpage) or "Erdogan just doomed Turkey's EU membership" (the headline on the relevant webpage).

yabi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I think my question was not complete. I read its meaning in the dictionary and I understand it.
It means: the act of forcing a person to do or pay something especially by a threat to reveal a secret.
But I want to know the origin or root of the meaning. Tee relation between black and mail with the meaning.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think my question was not complete clear. I read its the meaning in the dictionary and I understand it. It means no colon here "the act of forcing a person to do or pay something especially by a threat to reveal a secret".

But However, I want to know the origin or root of the meaning. Tee relation between black and mail with the meaning. The underlined sentence is completely incomprehensible.
Your question certainly wasn't clear, in that case. You should have asked "What's the origin and etymology of the word "blackmail"?" Had you asked that, I'm sure someone would have directed you to a site such as Etymonline so that you could type the word in yourself and read all about it. Now you can do that. You're welcome!

yabi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Your question certainly wasn't clear, in that case. You should have asked "What's the origin and etymology of the word "blackmail"?" Had you asked that, I'm sure someone would have directed you to a site such as Etymonline so that you could type the word in yourself and read all about it. Now you can do that. You're welcome!
Thanks for correcting my sentences and directing me to proper site for etymology of the word.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks for correcting my sentences and for directing me to a proper site for to find the etymology of the word.
You're welcome but there's no need to write a new post to thank anyone. Simply add the "Thanks" icon to any response you find helpful.

yabi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
You're welcome but there's no need to write a new post to thank anyone. Simply add the "Thanks" icon to any response you find helpful.
I couldn't find "Thanks" icon. Do you mean "Like" button?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I couldn't find "Thanks" icon. Do you mean "Like" button?
No, I mean the "Thanks" icon! When you put your cursor over the "Like" button (which you can clearly see because you've used it), other icons pop up. One of them looks like this: 🙏. Click that and it will add that icon to the response, rather than the (y) icon.