Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
We shared the brief that if you’re fortunate enough to have success, you should put something back— he with his Newman’s Own food and his Hole in the Wall camps for kids who are seriously ill, and me with Sundance and the institute and the festival.

What does the sentence underlined mean? I can understand food, but I am really confused with "his Hole in the Wall ". And does camps for kid mean have a summer camp for kid? But the kids are seriously ill, how to have a summer camp for them? Thank you!

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: his hole in the hole

We shared the belief that if you’re fortunate enough to have success, you should give backhe with his Newman’s Own food and his Hole in the Wallcamp for kids who are seriously ill (no comma) and me with Sundance and the institute and the festival.

What does the sentence underlined mean? I can understand food, but I am really confused with "his Hole in the Wall ". And does camps for kid mean have a summer camp for kid? But the kids are seriously ill, how to have a summer camp for them? Thank you!

The movie star Paul Newman started a camp - that is, an outdoor retreat center - that children with cancer and other illnesses can visit and have fun.

Newman was a movie called "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid." In it, he was the leader of a gang of outlaws. They lived up in an canyon called Hole In the Wall, in the US state of Wyoming, and the gang members called themselves the Hole In the Wall gang.

The movie was based on a real gang of nineteenth century American outlaws.

Likewise, Robert Redford named his ranch, institute, and film festival after his character in the move, the Sundance Kid.

Apparently, they both loved that movie. (I do, too!)

It sounds like you already know this, but Newman also started a food company called Newman's Own, which gives all its profits to charity. (Movie stars don't need more money.)

Mike12345

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

The movie star Paul Newman started a camp - that is, an outdoor retreat center - that children with cancer and other illnesses can visit and have fun.

Newman was a movie called "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid." In it, he was the leader of a gang of outlaws. They lived up in an canyon called Hole In the Wall, in the US state of Wyoming, and the gang members called themselves the Hole In the Wall gang.

The movie was based on a real gang of nineteenth century American outlaws.

Likewise, Robert Redford named his ranch, institute, and film festival after his character in the move, the Sundance Kid.

Apparently, they both loved that movie. (I do, too!)

It sounds like you already know this, but Newman also started a food company called Newman's Own, which gives all its profits to charity. (Movie stars don't need more money.)
Teacher Charlire, your explainations are very helpful! Thank you very much. But I still can not understand "me with Sundance and the institute and the festival.". Are "Sundance and the institute and the festival" related with camp?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Sundance, the institute, and the camp are the three things Redford feels he gives back to the community. He compares them to the things Newman did in his own way to benefit society.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Teacher Charlire, your explainations are very helpful! Thank you very much. But I still can not understand "me with Sundance and the institute and the festival.". Are "Sundance and the institute and the festival" related with camp?

It might be confusing you because it's not grammatical. He should say "I," not "me." But in conversational American English, his phrasing is common and natural.

So no. As GS says, he's comparing his own Sundance experience with his nonprofit projects with Paul Newman's camp experience.

I question whether the phrase "Sundance and the institute and the festival" is accurate, because the institute and festival are both called Sundance. So I would expect him to say something like "the Sundance institute and festival."

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Mike, please note that I have changed your thread title to match your question.

Status
Not open for further replies.