Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
This post will be funny for some of you but when I am abroad and need to eat in restaurants I always get waiter's attention if I am not satisfied. :)

For about last five years I used the statements below. I wonder if they were correct.

1. This dish was warmed up in a microwave because it is hot outside and cold inside. Please prepared me fresh meal, not from a microwave.
2.(the context: payment) Wait, you can take my card and go inside. You should bring a terminal here.
3.Potatoes are undercooked
4.The meat is tasteless, I don't taste any spices.
5.The meat is tough, I need to chew it like gum.
6.The fish is too dry.
7.The fish is too fatty. It was fried in too much amount of fat.
8.You didn't tell me the starter was paid extra so you won't get a tip.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
There's nothing funny about any of those remarks you made to your servers. They're rude and disrespectful. You only said 'please' once.

To get a server's attention, say 'Excuse me, Juan/Juanita' (they usually tell you their name or have a name badge).

Last edited:

mrwroc

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
But I always start it with 'excuse me', here I omitted it. Why do you think this is an unpleasant thred? I always try being polite.
My last sentence wasn't nice but I did it once when a waiter told me that I could have found the information the starter is extra paid on the last page of menu, after beverages....

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
This post will be funny for some of you

Nope. They don't seem funny to me.

but when I am abroad and need to eat in restaurants, I always get the waiter's attention if I am not satisfied. [STRIKE]:)[/STRIKE]

For about the last five years, I have used the statements below. I wonder if they are correct.

1. [space] I can tell this dish was warmed up in a microwave, because it's hot outside and cold inside. Please [strike]prepared[/strike] prepare me a fresh meal, not something from a microwave.

I'd just ask them to finish cooking it.

2. [space] (the context: payment) Wait, you can take my card and go inside. You should bring a terminal here.

That makes no sense.

3. [space] These potatoes are undercooked.

It happens. It shouldn't be a big deal.

4. [space] The meat is tasteless. I don't taste any spices.

Lack of seasoning is a poor reason to complain.

5. [space] The meat is tough. I need to chew it like gum.

I wouldn't bug the waiter about that, either.

6. [space] The fish is too dry.

Ditto

7. [space] The fish greasy. It was fried in too much [STRIKE]amount of[/STRIKE] fat.

If you don't like it, don't eat it.

8. [space] You didn't tell me the appetizer is extra, so you won't get a tip.

Ow! You are the customer from hell!
In the US, we have an expression: Vote with your feet. In this context, it means that if you don't like the restaurant, go somewhere else next time.

In the US, the custom is to always tip. In some countries, the custom is to never tip. It's usually good to follow the customs of the places you visit.

Where were you traveling when you used them?

Always put a space after a period.

Last edited by a moderator:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
In the US, we have an expression: Vote with your feet.

Yes, that's a good old standby. A wordier version is "The great thing about living in the country is you get to vote with your dollars every day."

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
But I always start it with 'excuse me'. Here I omitted it. Why do you think this is an unpleasant thread?

Most of your complaints are silly. When you travel, you can't expect resaurant food to always be good.

I always try being polite.

The evidence is stacked against you. Undercooked potatoes? You'd really tell a waiter that the potatoes are too hard?

My last sentence wasn't nice, but I did it once when a waiter told me that I could have found the information that appetizers are extra paid on the last page of menu, after beverages....

That's bad, but it's not the waiter's fault. You could have (a) asked to talk with the manager or (b) paid for the appetizer and not come back.
Here's a suggestion: Next time you don't like a restaurant, pour your guts out on a restaurant review web site. It'll feel good, and restaurants pay attention to those reviews.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Your thread title said "How can I get (missing word) waiter's attention?" None of your examples are examples of how to do that. We get their attention by catching their eye and waving them over to us (if they're too far away to hear us) or by saying "Excuse me" as they pass by our table. (Note that in the UK you are very unlikely to know the name of your waiter. They rarely wear name tags and they don't introduce themselves. They generally say "Hello. Would you like to order some drinks?" and then, a few minutes later, "Are you ready to order your food?" The first time I went to the States and was greeted at the door of a restaurant by a shiny, bubbly, fake-smiley, overly made-up 16-year-old, squealing at the top of her voice "Hi. I'm Samantha and I'll be your waitress today. Let me tell you all about our amazing specials ...", I felt the urge to punch her in the face and make a swift exit!

All of your examples are of making a complaint. That's a very different thing.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In the US, we have an expression: Vote with your feet. In this context, it means that if you don't like the restaurant, go somewhere else next time.

NOT A TEACHER

Yes.

I once read that supposedly many foreign restaurant and hotel owners have learned to their dismay that while American tourists in general may not complain, that does not mean that they are necessarily satisfied. They simply do not return.

mrwroc

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
1. [space] I can tell this dish was warmed up in a microwave, because it's hot outside and cold inside. Please prepared prepare me a fresh meal, not something from a microwave. - I'd just ask them to finish cooking it (Charlie Bernstein).

It was in Rome. I saw on the menu "fresh lasagne" and I got the dish from a microwave.

2. [space] (the context: payment) Wait, you can take my card and go inside. You should bring a terminal here. - That makes no sense (Charlie Bernstein).

It should be:
"Wait, you can NOT take my card and go inside. You should bring a terminal here." - I was outside of a restaurant and wanted to pay by card, a waiter simply took my card from my hand and wanted to go inside. It can be dangerous because someone can copy your card when you don't see it and then steal your money (of course cards have limit to 50 euro without PIN so someone will need to use it several times).

3. [space] These potatoes are undercooked. - It happens. It shouldn't be a big deal (Charlie Bernstein).

You can get sick if you eat undercooked potatoes.

4. [space] The meat is tasteless. I don't taste any spices. - Lack of seasoning is a poor reason to complain (Charlie Bernstein).

You shouldn't feel necessity (as a customer) to season a good meal.

5. [space] The meat is tough. I need to chew it like gum. - I wouldn't bug the waiter about that, either (Charlie Bernstein).

Try to eat a tough steak if it was bad prepared. :)

6. [space] The fish is too dry. - Ditto (Charlie Bernstein).

Maybe you are right.

7. 7. [space] The fish greasy. It was fried in too much amount of fat. - If you don't like it, don't eat it (Charlie Bernstein).

It was prepared in deep fryer. :/

8. [space] You didn't tell me the appetizer is extra, so you won't get a tip. - Ow! You are the customer from hell! (Charlie Bernstein).

But the waiter was very unpleasant.

"Vote with your feet." - I don't agree with that. Food should be a pleasure. I don't want to eat to live. I want to relish it. I think we shouldn't be afraid of telling we don't like the dish. Telling it has more value and the staff of the restaurant can react faster and change something.
You can compare a bad meal in a restaurant to a failure product which you bought.

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Your thread title said "How can I get (missing word) waiter's attention?" None of your examples are examples of how to do that. We get their attention by catching their eye and waving them over to us (if they're too far away to hear us) or by saying "Excuse me" as they pass by our table. (Note that in the UK you are very unlikely to know the name of your waiter. They rarely wear name tags and they don't introduce themselves. They generally say "Hello. Would you like to order some drinks?" and then, a few minutes later, "Are you ready to order your food?" The first time I went to the States and was greeted at the door of a restaurant by a shiny, bubbly, fake-smiley, overly made-up 16-year-old, squealing at the top of her voice "Hi. I'm Samantha and I'll be your waitress today. Let me tell you all about our amazing specials ...", I felt the urge to punch her in the face and make a swift exit!

All of your examples are of making a complaint. That's a very different thing.
Wow. Could you export some of yours to the US?

Here, as you noticed, they always tell you their names. This information must be valuable to someone. But who?

Then they say they're going to "be taking care of" you. Do I look helpless?

Then they ask if "you guys" are ready to order. What a waste of a good syllable!

Then, when you order, they say, "Perfect!" Is there something inherently divine about a turkey burger? I doubt the turkey thought so.

After you've had your lunch, they say, "Did you leave room for dessert?" That is, are you such a pig that you might have stuffed yourself beyond physical capacity.

They top it all off with, "I'll be right back with you guys's check." Guys's? Help!

Thank the lord for the virus. I haven't heard any of that for months.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

NOT A TEACHER

Yes.

I once read that supposedly many foreign restaurant and hotel owners have learned to their dismay that while American tourists in general may not complain, that does not mean that they are necessarily satisfied. They simply do not return.
Really? My dad sure did. About absolutely everything.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
. . . It was prepared in deep fryer. :/

Yup. A handy device when used properly.

. . . But the waiter was very unpleasant.

My advice: Don't go to any New York restaurants!

"Vote with your feet." - I don't agree with that.

Obviously!

Food should be a pleasure.

Of course.

I don't want to eat to live. I want to relish it.

Don't we all? So, if I don't like a restaurant, I don't go back. The ones I like get my repeat business.
That's my advice, anyway — worth the paper it's printed on.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I do think there are occasions where it's reasonable to politely get the waiter's attention and notify them of an issue.

For example, if you ordered a steak cooked a certain way, or requested something be prepared without a particular ingredient, then it's fair to politely mention it to the waiter, and expect them to rectify it.

However, if I just don't particularly care for the food (say I find it underwhelming or flavorless), then I will just not bother to return. I generally don't complain about this, because it wasn't a specific request I made, versus just being displeased across the board.

With the fish, the menu description should have alerted you to how it was prepared (i.e. "fried fillet"). Properly fried food shouldn't be overly greasy - usually that's a sign the grease wasn't hot enough, or they didn't drain the food after frying. Still, if you order fried food, by definition you should expect a certain amount of grease in it, as that's the preparation method. If you don't like greasy food, don't order fried menu items.

There's a bit of a fine line between making a reasonable, polite request or complaint about your food, versus being the person that complains about every single little thing. Sometimes, it may be an honest mistake, and notifying the waiter gives helpful feedback. Complaining about everything and threating their tip ahead of time might just run you the risk of them tampering with your food on purpose, like spitting in it.

I have no idea how you expect them to bring the credit card machine to your table. While I am starting to see some wireless card readers and such in restaurants, it's still far more common to send your card away with the waiter. It's part of your responsibility as a card owner to routinely check your statements for fraud and theft. Some establishments will have you pay on your way out the door, at a cashier's station, where you can watch them handle your card, but that varies by restaurant.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have no idea how you expect them to bring the credit card machine to your table. While I am starting to see some wireless card readers and such in restaurants, it's still far more common to send your card away with the waiter. It's part of your responsibility as a card owner to routinely check your statements for fraud and theft. Some establishments will have you pay on your way out the door, at a cashier's station, where you can watch them handle your card, but that varies by restaurant.

It is probably over three years since I've had to take my card to a pay station when eating out in the UK. Just about every cafe, restaurant and even street food stalls have standalone card readers (wireless) that can be brought to your table, or moved around to wherever they're needed.
Trying to pay by the waiter taking your card away and you staying at your table only works if your card has the contactless facility. Otherwise, without the PIN, they're not going to be able to take payment. Of course, I agree with the others that you should never allow your card out of your sight because of the risk of skimming/cloning.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It is probably over three years since I've had to take my card to a pay station when eating out in the UK. Just about every cafe, restaurant and even street food stalls have standalone card readers (wireless) that can be brought to your table, or moved around to wherever they're needed.
Trying to pay by the waiter taking your card away and you staying at your table only works if your card has the contactless facility. Otherwise, without the PIN, they're not going to be able to take payment. Of course, I agree with the others that you should never allow your card out of your sight because of the risk of skimming/cloning.
Most credit card gadgets get to the US last. The first time I saw a card reader, I was in Canada. The waitress was annoyed that we didn't know how to work the damn thing.

Chip-readers are another. First I read about them being used in other countries. Then chips started appearing on cards here, but you couldn't do anything with them. It was another year or two before most stores started getting chip-reading boxes.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Are most card payments done with a card reader and a signature still, then?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Are most card payments done with a card reader and a signature still, then?

Yes. I am at a loss to explain why America, usually in the forefront of technical innovation, is so backward in this area. Chip cards are practically unkown there. It's also difficult to use debit cards in the USA, and using non-US Visa credit cards will result in American banks charging rip-off exchange rates.

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes. I am at a loss to explain why America, usually in the forefront of technical innovation . . . .
Only when there's an immediate and obvious military application.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Two points:

1. Samantha doesn't want to be all chipper when suggesting the specials or an appetizer. Corporate makes her do that.

2. Most stores are using chip readers now in US (without a PIN), but you still see magnetic stripe readers. Banks are providing incentives to merchants to upgrade. Or disincentives to not.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Trying to pay by the waiter taking your card away and you staying at your table only works if your card has the contactless facility. Otherwise, without the PIN, they're not going to be able to take payment.

I don't even know what you mean by the contactless facility. Credit cards can be run without a pin, at least here in the US. Only debit cards (at least in the US) require your pin, but debit cards have the option to be run as credit, so you can skip the pin and sign instead. Most of the time you'll either be given a electronic option or verbally asked if you want to run it as debit or credit. Using it as debit saves the store from paying the card company a 2-3 percent processing fee. That's why some places have a minimum limit (usually around 15 US dollars) purchase if paying by credit.

Yes. I am at a loss to explain why America, usually in the forefront of technical innovation, is so backward in this area. Chip cards are practically unkown there. It's also difficult to use debit cards in the USA, and using non-US Visa credit cards will result in American banks charging rip-off exchange rates.

With the last five years or so, we've transitioned to only chip cards. There was a lot of public resistance to them, because of fears of tracking and data collection via those RFID chips, but I don't think you can get a chipless card anymore. Stores had to switch to the chip reading machines, or legally be responsible for any fraud charges. Perhaps any difficulties with using your debit card is related to something with international banking, because debit cards are extremely common nowadays. They have been for 15 years or so, maybe more. I honestly can't remember how long ago I go my first debit card, but I'm vaguely recalling it being just a few years out of college.

Of course, the chip reader or the chip frequently malfunctions, then you end up having to swipe your card anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.