Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
In Los Angeles, a waiter served a group of teens as they were headed to their homecoming dance. The waiter remembered his experience as a young high school student looking forward to his homecoming dance. So he made sure the teens had a pleasant experience at the restaurant. The waiter made sure of it.

Source:https://www.lovethispic.com/blog/45...3.28-tip.-a-few-days-later,-this-note-pops-up

In the last sentence, the use of ‘made sure of’ seems a little strange to me. Is it used correctly?

diamondcutter

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thanks, GoesStation.

I think the waiter made sure of it means the waiter did it, which is different from the meaning of the phrase in the following sentences. Am I right?

He had stopped to catch his breath and make sure of his directions.
Always make sure of your facts before accusing anyone.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The final sentence The waiter made sure of it means exactly the same thing as the preceding sentence The waiter made sure the teens had a pleasant experience at the restaurant.

I can't quite see a good reason for the repetition there, however. The final sentence seems a little out of place to me.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I agree entirely. The final sentence is completely redundant. For it to be necessary, the whole piece would need to be reorganised:

In Los Angeles, a waiter served a group of teens as they were headed to their homecoming dance. [strike]The waiter remembered his experience as a young high school student looking forward to his homecoming dance. So he made sure[/strike] The teens had a pleasant experience at the restaurant. The waiter made sure of it, because he remembered being a high school student looking forward to his homecoming dance.

Status
Not open for further replies.