Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Italy
In the couple
How does red taste?
I would consider red a noun and taste the verb.
Do you agree?

1. What does green taste like? # What does red taste like? # Do different colors taste different? [2012 FIC]
  2. […] where we taste select colors, feel select sounds [1991 ACAD]
  3. Halfbaby’s trying hard to breathe, sees red, tastes red, her mouth gaping. [2002 FIC]
  4. It was Spring, and the air outside was warm and moist and tasted green. [1995 FIC]
  5. I liked showering in rainwater that tasted dark and mossy from cisterns. [2015 FIC]
    f. The kitchen forgot to salt the cooking water, so the dish tasted dull. [2011 NEWS]

In these sentences would the second member of the couple still be considered a noun or an adverb? I would think an adverb by structure but noun by usage.
Thank you.
JS

Last edited by a moderator:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I agree with your first question. I think 1-3 are nouns. 4-5 seem more like adjectives to me.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The post is very messy, so the questions are not easy to answer very easily.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
People with synaesthesia, who have one of their sensory modalities stimulated, also perceive a specific value in another sensory modality. The most common type is colour-grapheme synaesthesia, where the number 4, or the letter E always stimulates a colour, say blue. This is not psychological. It's a neurological connection between two sensory areas of the brain.

"How does red taste?" means "what is the taste sensation that occurs when the subject perceives something that is red?" I don't think it matters what grammatical term you use for the colour. 'Red' is a property or quality of matter or substance. I don't know whether it can occur simply as redness with no substrate. The ontology of colour is a common philosophical topic in the nature of perception.

Status
Not open for further replies.