How she felt

Status
Not open for further replies.

riverplate

Member Type
Student or Learner
when I say "she needn't have got up early"

How did the person feel?

I mentioned she was tired, but teacher said it was not the proper answer.

any help?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi and welcome to Using English.

I don't really understand.

You were told "She needn't have gotten up early" and then asked "How does she feel?"

Your answer was "She is tired." Is that right?

That seems an okay answer. She may also have been annoyed that she got up early when there was no need to.

riverplate

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hi

well I did creat a context where I mentioned that she waited for an hour afterwards, so she was tired and annoyed..
that made the trick after to create some concept questions such as...

How did she feel? Tired
Was she happy? No.

Thanks for the help. :)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
when I say "she needn't have got up early"

How did the person feel?

I mentioned she was tired, but teacher said it was not the proper answer.

any help?

Like Barb, I was a little confused too. Not by your suggested answer but by the question you were originally asked. The statement "She needn't have got up early" actually gives you no hint as to how she feels.

Again, like Barb, the only suggestion I would have is that she might have been annoyed/irritated by the fact that she had got up early unnecessarily.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Nothing to do with the original question, but I find that increasingly I prefer "has/have/had gotten" to "has/have/had got".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Nothing to do with the original question, but I find that increasingly I prefer "has/have/had gotten" to "has/have/had got".

Really? I'm still from the old school where (no offence intended) I see "gotten" as an entirely American invention and it sets my teeth on edge whenever I see or hear it!

Edit - sorry, I should have pointed out that I realise that "gotten" exists in BrE (ill-gotten gains etc) but it's when it's used as a direct replacement for "got" as a verb that I don't like it.

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Really? I'm still from the old school where (no offence intended) I see "gotten" as an entirely American invention and it sets my teeth on edge whenever I see or hear it!

Edit - sorry, I should have pointed out that I realise that "gotten" exists in BrE (ill-gotten gains etc) but it's when it's used as a direct replacement for "got" as a verb that I don't like it.
It's not an American invention, it's 17th century English which Americans have kept and we have discarded.;-)

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
It makes sense to use "I've gotten" for the present perfect if you use "I've got" for present tense "I have" - or if you live in a community where "I've got" is typically used as present tense.

Status
Not open for further replies.