How to create a classroom activity from a reading material?

Amy_S

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hi everyone.

I've just started to take a course to be an English teacher in the future.
In the end of the first lesson the other day, a short reading material was handed out and we were told to create a classroom activity from it by next week.
It seems we will share the activities in class and give feedback each other.

I am the only one in class who is completely at lost... though all the other students, already experienced as a teacher, seem excied.
Maybe I should have enrolled in more basic course, but anyway, I need to work on this assignment.

Do you have any advice on where to start, or any article(s) / website(s) etc you recommend?
Any of your opinion would be highly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
For starters, you don't need "in the future". (All of our plans concern the future.)

**I just started a course on teaching English.
**They gave us some reading material.

I'm curious about why you thanked me ahead of time. (I've been wondering about that for a long time.) (I don't mean me in particular, of course.)

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi, everyone.

I've just started to take a course to become an English teacher. in the future.

In
At the end of the first lesson, the other day, a short reading material text was handed out and we were told to create a classroom activity from based on it by next week.

It seems I think/believe/understand [that] we will share the activities in the next class and give feedback each other feedback.

I am the only one in class who is completely at lost. though All the other students, who are already experienced as a teachers, seem excited.
Maybe I should have enrolled in a more basic course no comma here but anyway, I still need to work on this assignment.

Do you have any advice on where to start, or and are there any article(s)/website(s) etc you would recommend?
Any of your opinion information/advice would be highly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help. Unnecessary. Thank us after we help you, by adding the "Thanks" icon to any response you find useful.
Please note my corrections above. I'm not sure what you mean by "a more basic course". What qualification does the course lead to? There are only a certain number of recognised English teaching qualifications.
It strikes me that you should probably have a chat with the course leaders to determine if this is really the right course (and career path) for you. I mean no offence, but there were a lot of errors in your post. Before trying to teach English to others, you need to be proficient yourself.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I agree with emsr2d2 that you need to improve your English level first. As an employer, even in Japan, I'd require you to be at CEFR level C1. You're not quite there yet.

Himari

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
As emsr2d2 pointed out, your post contains several grammatical errors. Nevertheless, considering you are Japanese, your proficiency in English can be regarded as commendable. Given that your errors have been rectified, I shall refrain from further elaboration on this matter and instead address your initial inquiry.

Creating a classroom activity from a text can be an exciting opportunity to engage your students and enhance their understanding of the text. Here's a structured approach to help you get started:

1. Understand the Text: Begin by thoroughly reading and understanding the reading material provided. Identify the main theme, key points, vocabulary, and any potential discussion points.

2. Set Learning Objectives: Determine what you want your students to achieve through this activity. Are you focusing on comprehension, vocabulary expansion, critical thinking, or language skills practice?

3. Choose an Activity Type: There are various types of activities you can create, such as:
- Comprehension Questions: Craft questions that require students to recall information from the text.
- Vocabulary Exercises: Create tasks to help students understand and use new vocabulary from the reading.
- Discussion Prompts: Generate open-ended questions to stimulate class discussion and encourage critical thinking.
- Role-plays or Skits: Design scenarios based on the text for students to act out, reinforcing comprehension and language usage.
- Creative Writing Tasks: Prompt students to write a story continuation, a letter to a character, or a summary of the text.
- Group Activities: Arrange students into groups for collaborative tasks like creating a presentation or a poster related to the text.

4. Tailor the Activity to Your Students: Consider the age, language proficiency, and interests of your students when designing the activity. Ensure it aligns with their learning needs and preferences.

5. Provide Clear Instructions: Write clear and concise instructions for the activity, ensuring that students understand what is expected of them.

6. Plan for Feedback and Reflection: Think about how you will assess the students' performance and provide feedback. Leave room for reflection to help students understand their strengths and areas for improvement.

7. Be Flexible: Be prepared to adapt the activity based on the dynamics of your classroom and the responses of your students. Flexibility allows you to make the most of teaching moments as they arise.

As for resources, you can find inspiration and guidance from websites such as BusyTeacher.org, ESL Flow, or the British Council's TeachingEnglish website. Additionally, don't hesitate to reach out to your instructor or fellow classmates for support and brainstorming ideas. Good luck with your assignment, and remember that every challenge is an opportunity for growth as a future English teacher!