Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I want to improve the skills in the writing.
Would you guys provide some suggestions to me?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
There is no simple answer to this question. Learning a language takes time and dedication. The best thing you can do is to be prepared to make mistakes when your knowledge of grammar doesn't meet what you want say, and then to look at what you did wrong and to learn from it. Also, accept that, no matter how strange a grammatical form is, whatever the language uses is right. Don't try to impose the logic on your language on the language you are learning. It may sound stupid and wrong to you, but if it is right, use it. :up:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you so much!
I will try.

^^ I have no idea what this symbol is supposed to mean.

Please don't try to make your own emoticons. If you really must use one, click on the :) symbol in the toolbar and choose one. Also, please note that there is no need to write a new post to say "Thank you". Simply click on the "Thank" button in the bottom left-hand corner of any post you find useful. It saves time for everyone.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
mihuaya, please read this extract from the forum's Posting Guidelines:

You are welcome to answer questions posted in the Ask a Teacher forum as long as your suggestions, help, and advice reflect a good understanding of the English language. If you are not a teacher, you will need to state that clearly in your post. Please note, all posts are moderated by our in-house language experts, so make sure your suggestions, help, and advice provide the kind of information an international language teacher would offer. If not, and your posts do not contribute to the topic in a positive way, they will be subject to deletion.

mihuaya

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
NOT A TEACHER

This advice comes from my writing teacher that is you can read more. For example, you can choose the novel for simplification because some novels are so long that people may do not have paitient to finish it. Also, some people whose mother tongue is not English so when people read a long sentence, they probably cannot understand the meaning of the sentence.

Pei-En

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
[QUOTE = cookypop4395; 1446123]我想提高寫作技巧。
你們能給我一些建議嗎?[/ QUOTE]

NOT A TEACHER

Hey there, I don't think there is a particular way to improve writing skill in a second.
Improving a language require a lot of time and energy.
However, I think you can start with reading some example essay or your classmates' A or A+ essay.
By reading a lot, you can see how people present a sentence by different sentence patterns, different wordings, etc.
Good luck.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
This advice comes from my writing teacher that is you can read more.

I agree with this, and it is easy to read a lot without embarking on novels, which can be some of the hardest things to read.

cookypop4395

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
There is no simple answer to this question. Learning a language takes time and dedication. The best thing you can do is to be prepared to make mistakes when your knowledge of grammar doesn't meet what you want say, and then to look at what you did wrong and to learn from it. Also, accept that, no matter how strange a grammatical form is, whatever the language uses is right. Don't try to impose the logic on your language on the language you are learning. It may sound stupid and wrong to you, but if it is right, use it. :up:

Thank you for your advice. However, most of Asian students are afraid of making a mistake. So do I. But, I will try to solve grammatical problems from making the mistakes.

anita0213

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Not A Teacher
I think keep practicing can improve grammar. Maybe you can find some grammar books to study. Or you can reading or listening more to improve your language sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.