Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
What I'm trying to ask is this: -

"If I graduate from a Private University, do you think the chance of getting jobs will be higher than the chance if I were to graduate from a Public or State University??"

How do I make this into a short & simple question when speaking to someone fluently?

Thanks in advance

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Is my/the chance of getting a job better if I graduate from a private university or a public university?

You can replace the 'or' to 'than from' to follow the original sentence.

Is my/the chance of getting a job better if I graduate from a private university than from a public university?

I think the 'do you think' is not necessary.

Is my/the chance of getting a job better if I graduate from a private university rather than from a public university?

I don't think the 'rather' makes any difference here. 'Rather' would be good if it is matter of choosing between two options, not if you are making comparison in this case.

e.g. I would study in a public university rather than a private university.

not a teacher

Last edited:

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
"If I graduate from a Private University, do you think the chance of getting jobs will be higher than the chance if I were to graduate from a Public or State University??"

Thanks in advance
If you want to keep exactly the same meaning as the original sentence, you can say the following sentence.

'Do you think the chance of getting a job will be better if I graduate from a private university than from a public one?'

But practically speaking, my sentence and tedtmc's sentences have essentially the same meaning.

If state universities are at least partly public funded, you can omit "or state".

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
...from a private university than from a public one?'

Sorry, I know this is out of the topic but; Why is "than" instead of "rather than"?

richuk

Member Type
Student or Learner
Sorry, I know this is out of the topic but; Why is "than" instead of "rather than"?

Not a teacher.

That's a good question. To me they both mean the same. I guess it should really be 'rather than'? I'm not sure though.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Not a teacher.

That's a good question. To me they both mean the same. I guess it should really be 'rather than'? I'm not sure though.
I agree, "rather than" would be better.

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
'Do you think the chance of getting a job will be better if I graduate from a private university than (it would be if I graduate) from a public one?'
There's an ellipsis, and I don't see a need for "rather".

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Is my/the chance of getting a job better if I graduate from a private university or a public university?

You can replace the 'or' to 'than from' to follow the original sentence more closely.

Is my/the chance of getting a job better if I graduate from a private university than from a public university?

I think the 'do you think' is redundant.

Is my/the chance of getting a job better if I graduate from a private university rather than from a public university?

I don't think the 'rather' makes any difference here. IMO 'rather' would be good if it is matter of choosing between two options, not if you are making comparison between the two in this case.

e.g. I would study in a public university, which is cheaper, rather than a private university.

not a teacher

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I think the 'do you think' is redundant.
It might be, but it depends on who one is talking to.
If you are asking someone about generally available information, you can ask 'Is my chance of getting a job better..........?'

But if you are talking to the hiring manager of a specific company, you may specifically want to know what (s)he thinks. Because you may be actually asking about your chances of getting a job with that company in the future.

Also, although the OP did ask for a shorter sentence, making the sentence as short as possible may not be the most important thing. One never knows what context the OP's sentence comes with.

And, on a related topic, when a poster simply asks us to "correct" a sentence, we should change it only as much as is needed to correct the mistakes.
If we offer a quite different sentence that we happen to like more, the OP doesn't know how good or bad their sentence was.

Status
Not open for further replies.