How to use pro-verb "do", when a verb is intransitive verb with preposition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tae-Bbong-E

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
How to use pro-verb "do", when a verb is intransitive verb with preposition?

Hi,

I wanna know how to use pro-verb "do", when a verb is intransitive verb with a preposition?

Example -1)
A: I can’t believe she has been talking bad/badly about me.​
B: I wouldn’t make a big deal out of it. She does that with everybody.
In this Example -1), [talk bad/badly] is replaced with [does + that], and [about] is replaced with [with].

However, please kindly see Example-2).
​A man usually does not think about his duty as much as he does his right.​
In this Example-2), [thinks about] is replaced with [does].

So I am confused about how to use Pro-verb "do" when a verb is intransitive verb with preposition.
Your kind answers would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Re: How to use pro-verb "do", when a verb is intransitive verb with preposition?

I wanna know how to use pro-verb "do", when a verb is intransitive verb with a preposition?

Example -1)
A: I can’t believe she has been talking bad/badly about me.​
B: I wouldn’t make a big deal out of it. She does that with everybody.
In this Example -1), [talk bad/badly] is replaced with [does + that], and [about] is replaced with [with].

I don't agree with your analysis. "With" isn't replacing "about." Here, "with" is simply a function word indicating that a comparison is being made (see definition 14 here.) It could even be fronted: "With everyone, she does that"; "It is with everybody that she does that." For all X, it is true that she talks badly about X.

However, please kindly see Example-2).
​A man usually does not think about his duty as much as he does his right.​
In this Example-2), [thinks about] is replaced with [does].

So I am confused about how to use Pro-verb "do" when a verb is intransitive verb with preposition.

There is no need to regard "does" here as a pro-form. It can be analyzed as the same "does" as we find in "Phaedrus likes grammar, and Tae-Bbong-E does, too." That is, it introduces ellipsis. In the example I just gave, the type of ellipsis is verb-phrase ellipsis: "Phaedrus likes grammar, and Tae-Bbong-E does [like grammar], too."

In your example, the type of ellipsis is Pseudo-Gapping, in which part of the verb phrase is not elided. At the very least, in Pseudo-Gapping, a verb is elided after DO (or whatever other aux/modal may be in play). Sometimes a preposition is elided, too, as in your example.

I believe the eliding of a preposition in Pseudo-Gapping only works with prepositional verbs. Consider what happens when we replace think about, a prepositional verb, with think in, which is not a prepositional verb. In the version with think in, the entire prepositional phrase needs to be present. Only the verb can be elided.

(1a) A man usually does not think about his duty as much as he does about his rights.
(1b) A man usually does not think about his duty as much as he does his rights.

(2a) A man usually does not think as much in the afternoon as he does in the morning.
(2b) *[strike]A man usually does not think as much in the afternoon as he does the morning.[/strike]

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: How to use pro-verb "do", when a verb is intransitive verb with preposition?

Please don't use "wanna" (or other similar non-standard words) on the forum.

I'd use his rights.

I'd use his rights.
Please feel free to add the "s" in examples (1a) and (1b) of my explanation.

Done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back