Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Does "line" here mean "border line" or "highway"?
Does "done" here mean "supported/voted"?

================================
Someone who comments on the picture below wrote:
Yep, it's crap. Crap, crap, crap. Can't say it enough. :) All these lies are so disheartening. The other day some stupid guy was standing near our town line in New England with a piece of cardboard that read: Don't get the jab. He looked completely drunk and had also done the pro-orange man at election time. What planet are these people from?
d41586-021-01246-x_19139514.jpg Click to enlarge

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
line - border
done the pro-orange man - supported Donald Trump.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I'm not sure about the usage in New England, but here in Ontario "town line" might be the name of a road, a type of road, or the border of a town.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm not sure about the usage in New England, but here in Ontario "town line" might be the name of a road, a type of road, or the border of a town.
In the US, if it were the name of a road, it would be capitalized: Town Line Road. A town line is a border separating towns.

In New England, town lines butt up against other town lines, the same way county and state lines do. There's no space between. In a lot of of the country, towns often do have space between them. But their borders are still called town lines.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In parts of New England, towns can be entirely rural legal jurisdictions that are contained in counties. The equivalent in Ohio and some other states is a township.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In parts of New England, towns can be entirely rural legal jurisdictions that are contained in counties. The equivalent in Ohio and some other states is a township.
Exactly! There's an assortment of words for them (at least in Maine), like town, township, plantation, purchase, survey, patent, and division.

We even have gores. My favorite, though I've never seen it, is Misery Gore.

I went to high school in the City of Rye, Town of Rye, Westchester County, New York State. The Town of Rye also has several villages, including Port Chester, which for historic reasons has the most bars per capita of any organized settlement in the state. And it's a thirsty state.

Anyhow, we agree to agree: A town line is a border, regardless of what it borders.

Last edited by a moderator:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

It's the same here in Ontario. The so-called City of Nanticoke has none of the attributes of a city. In fact it is almost entirely rural and bucolic, and has a population of just over 60,000 people. The must be some economic or financial advantage to being designated a city.

Status
Not open for further replies.