Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
I just found out that I got an email few days ago from someone who owes me respect a lot. I am not sure how to write a warm greeting, any ideas?
This is the below greeting he sent me in the email.

"I hope you and your family enjoyed a good start to the Lunar/Chinese New Year of the (Golden) Ox, and that today's 15th-day Lantern Festival celebrations went well."

Any ideas?

Thanks.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I just found [STRIKE]out that I got[/STRIKE] an email from a few days ago from someone who owes me a lot of respect. [STRIKE]a lot.[/STRIKE] I am not sure how to write a warm greeting, any ideas?
This is the [STRIKE]below[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]greeting[/STRIKE] message he sent me: [STRIKE]in the email.[/STRIKE]

"I hope you and your family enjoyed a good start to the Lunar/Chinese New Year of the (Golden) Ox, and that today's 15th-day Lantern Festival celebrations went well."

Any ideas?

[STRIKE]Thanks.[/STRIKE] Thank us after we help you, by clicking on the "Thank" button.

Note my changes and comments above. I have underlined "owes" because I'm really not sure it's the right word. Can you explain why they owe you a lot of respect?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
How about:

New Years greetings on behalf of my entire family and myself. We hope that you enjoy happiness and prosperity throughout the coming year, and that your Lantern Festival celebrations were happy and enjoyable.

theol

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Note my changes and comments above. I have underlined "owes" because I'm really not sure it's the right word. Can you explain why they owe you a lot of respect?

I was trying to say I owe him my respect.

I just found an email from a few days ago from someone I owe him a lot of respect. I am not sure how to write a warm greeting, any ideas?
This is the message he sent me:

Is that correct.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I was trying to say I owe him my respect.

I just found an email from a few days ago from someone I[STRIKE] owe him a lot of respect[/STRIKE] respect a lot. I am not sure how to write a warm greeting. Any ideas?
This is the message he sent me:

Is that correct?

You have to write out the email yourself and we'll see if we can help. We wouldn't know what you want to say.

Last edited:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I think my suggested reply still works. A warm and friendly tone is appropriate and works regardless of which person owes respect to the other.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Any ideas?

NOT A TEACHER

Theol, as an 83-year-old, I consider a "warm email greeting" an oxymoron." (I think that I used that word correctly.)

How can an email be "warm"?

If you want to send him a "warm greeting," you should take the time to write some comments on good paper, put it in an envelope, put a stamp on the envelope, and mail it.

Do I assume correctly that you can write Chinese? If I am, your friend would surely be impressed if he were to open the envelope and see your sentiments expressed in beautifully written Chinese characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.