Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Dear all:
What is the exact meaning of the following passage? It is from Willem Floor, German Sources on Safavid Persia, p. 400. Of course, the text was originally written in German nearly 300 years ago. The whole words in bold are problematic. The underlined words are seemingly Latin.

However, the parallel goes right through the center of Persia at 33 Elev. Poli Borealis, and calculated down to one degree becomes 50 aequatoris, thus, the length of Persia comes down to 337.5 miles. Therefore, neither width nor length are by far not so big as some geographers have held out.

Thanks very much.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks, but, that answer was far from satisfactory.
It looks fairly clear to me. What exactly was your problem with it?

Please note that when you come to us with a question you have asked elsewhere, you should provide the link to the other forum yourself (in post #1) and explain why you didn't find the answer satisfactory.

pars

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
It looks fairly clear to me. What exactly was your problem with it?

Please note that when you come to us with a question you have asked elsewhere, you should provide the link to the other forum yourself (in post #1) and explain why you didn't find the answer satisfactory.
The whole words in bold are problematic for me.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
pars, tell us which bits you don't understand. Don't make us guess. I assume you know where Persia is.

pars

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
pars, tell us which bits you don't understand. Don't make us guess. I assume you know where Persia is.
Exactly these words "33 Elev. Poli Borealis, and calculated down to one degree becomes 50 aequatoris,"

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
"The parallel" refers to a line of latitude, specifically 33 degrees north. "Poli borealis" is Latin. It's the genitive singular so it means "of or from the north pole". So the passage seems to be saying that because that latitude line is where it is, Persia is much smaller than one would otherwise think in both length and breadth. Mathematically, that seems to be a non sequitur, that is it does NOT follow by logic. Additional context might help to clarify the author's argument.

pars

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thanks very much, but what does "50 aequatoris" mean?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
"50 aequatoris"means nothing to me. I suspect poor translation from the German.

Status
Not open for further replies.