"However, the western road and parts of the eastern one have been destroyed to provide space for a road bridge almost spanning the width of the..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Igbo
Home Country
Nigeria
Current Location
Nigeria
These sentences are from my essay.
"However, the western road and parts of the eastern one have been destroyed to provide space for a road bridge almost spanning the width of the area and providing access to a city."

"Apartment buildings have been built north of the river, many houses have been erected east of the river, and after the group of houses present in 1965 have been rebuilt east of the remaining part of the eastern road, a car park has been built on that site."

1) In the 1st sentence, did I reduce the relative clause grammatically? Or do I have to say "the western road and parts of the eastern one have been destroyed to provide space for a road bridge which almost spans the width of the area and provides access to a city"?

2) If I am using the conjunction "after", can the verbs in the main and subordinate clauses be in the present perfect tense? In other words, is it grammatical to say "after the group of houses present in 1965 have been rebuilt east of the remaining part of the eastern road, a car park has been built on that site"?

This is my full essay (it was written by me):

The maps depict an area in Assford in 1965 and now.

Overall, the transport infrastructure of the area, as well as its housing, has improved considerably, but all the trees in the area have been removed.

In 1965, the area had a river running north-south, and there were two roads, one on the west side and the other on the east side, which terminated in the river. The eastern road led to a group of houses, in the northeast, whereas the western one connected the area to a city. Additionally, there were trees in the northwestern part, and a ferry could be seen on the river.

However, the western road and parts of the eastern one have been destroyed to provide space for a road bridge almost spanning the width of the area and providing access to a city. Apartment buildings have been built north of the river, many houses have been erected east of the river, and after the group of houses present in 1965 have been rebuilt east of the remaining part of the eastern road, a car park has been built on that site.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221010-180858_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221010-180858_Chrome.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 2

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would think that the bridge provides access to one particular city.

(That is quite long.)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A river runs north and south or east and west, but not both at the same place.

You are trying to cram too much into one sentence.

I suggest that you use simple past unless there is a reason to use past perfect.

What does the bridge connect? Does it connect two parts of the same city or two different cities?

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Igbo
Home Country
Nigeria
Current Location
Nigeria
A river runs north and south or east and west, but not both at the same place.

You are trying to cram too much into one sentence.

I suggest that you use simple past unless there is a reason to use past perfect.

What does the bridge connect? Does it connect two parts of the same city or two different cities?
The bridge connects a part of the area to a city.

The river runs north-south, and apartment buildings were erected north of it.

Attachments

141.4 KB · Views: 0

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1. The bridge connects a part of the area to a city.

2.The river runs north-south, and apartment buildings were erected north of it.
1.I'm afraid that makes no sense. A bridge either connects two different cities or two parts of the sane city.
2. If a river runs north-south then any construction is done to the east or west of it.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Igbo
Home Country
Nigeria
Current Location
Nigeria
1.I'm afraid that makes no sense. A bridge either connects two different cities or two parts of the sane city.
2. If a river runs north-south then any construction is done to the east or west of it.
Please, take a look at the map I attached. Apartment buildings were added north of the river. Though, I agree with your 1st statement; it seems I didn't interpret the map well.

Attachments

141.4 KB · Views: 1

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Please, take a look at the map I attached. Apartment buildings were built/erected north of the river. Though, I agree with your 1st statement; it seems I didn't interpret the map well.
OK.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@hardyweineberg According to that map some apartments were built right in the middle of the river. (It doesn't look like a map. It looks like a sketch.)

Status
Not open for further replies.