Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Is "How's [plural noun]?" acceptable? I think it might be like how it is with "There's [plural noun]", technically ungrammatical, practically correct and natural.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes, it's very much like "There's" before a plural noun. It works in the contracted form but not uncontracted. The full form is "How are things?" You'll hear that, along with "How're things?" and "How's things?" They're all acceptable in casual, everyday speech.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, although I wouldn't call it "practically correct." I'd call it incorrect but practical.

Sometimes function beats form.

(And I hate that we can't say trumps anymore!)

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Is it because 're is harder to pronounce, and adding -s/'s to words happens a lot in this language?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"'re" isn't hard to pronounce for native speakers, so no.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is it because 're is harder to pronounce, and adding -s/'s to words happens a lot in this language?
It's not hard to pronounce -'re, but nonetheless, I think you're exactly right. It's not a matter of what's easy. It's a matter of what's easier. There's and how's are easier to say than there are and how are, so we substitute them, especially in conversation.

In American English, we don't write there're or here're because, spoken, they sound the same (or very nearly the same) as there are and how are.

Status
Not open for further replies.