Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I went to the mountains with my mom. I didn’t remember the room number so I texted my mom, saying:

I’m at the door.

Then she opened the door for me. Is it natural to say that?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It's OK.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If you don't remember your room number how can you say "I'm at the door?"

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
If you don't remember your room number how can you say "I'm at the door?"
Good question. I was at the floor where we live. And the rooms are just next to each other. I stand at the aisle texting my mom.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I went to the mountains with my mom. I didn’t remember the room number so I texted my mom, saying:

I’m at the door.

Then she opened the door for me. Is it natural to say that?
"I'm at the door" is a perfectly grammatical sentence in the right context. However, the context at the start is odd. Going to the mountains doesn't involve a room or a room number. As it stands, it makes little sense. Set the scene better for us. For example, start with "My mum and I went on holiday/vacation to the mountains. After we'd checked into our hotel rooms, I wanted to find my mum but I realised I couldn't remember what number her room was!"
As SoothingDave said, if you didn't know the room number, you couldn't have known you were outside the right room.

Edit: I've now seen post #5. If her room was next door to yours, you didn't need to remember her room number so that part of the original was irrelevant!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Good question. I was at on the floor where we live we were staying no full stop here and the rooms are were just next to each other. I was standing at in the aisle hallway/corridor texting my mom.
Note my corrections above. I assume you were in some kind of hotel. You haven't made that clear. Hotels don't have aisles! They're mainly found in churches and supermarkets.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
For example, start with "My mum and I went on holiday/vacation to the mountains. After we'd checked into our hotel rooms, I wanted to find my mum but I realised I couldn't remember what number her room was!"
Sorry for not having made myself clear.

My mom and I went to Wulong and lived in the mountains for a few days. We lived in a hotel. I didn’t remember which room I lived after we checked in so I had to text my mom and waited in the hallway. I sent a message saying “I’m at the door” to my mom and then she opened the door.

Is the italic sentence natural? If not, what can I say?

Edited: I forgot to mention that in order to save money we lived in a double room. A room with two beds.

Last edited:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
You didn't live in the hotel; you stayed there.

A hotel typically has two rows oF rooms accessible from a long corridor, very often on many levels. It would be highly unlikely that you were exactly at the spot outside the room when you had no idea which room your mum was in when you called her. It makes more sense if you had asked, "What’s our room number?"

A room with a double bed is called a double room, while one with two beds is called a twin room.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Sorry for not having made myself clear.

My mom and I went to Wulong and lived stayed at a hotel in the mountains for a few days. We lived in a hotel. I didn’t remember which room I lived what number our room was after we checked in so I had to text my mom and waited wait in the hallway. I sent her a message saying I’m at the door” "I'm in the hallway" to my mom and then she opened the door.

Is the italic sentence natural? If not, what can I say?

Edited: I forgot to mention that in order to save money we lived in booked a double twin room. A room with two beds.
You're still trying to say that you're outside the right door when you've already said you don't know which is the right door! It would have made more sense if you'd texted "Mom! I can't remember which is our room. I'm in the hallway. Can you open the door please?/Can you come out and find me please?"