I’ve yet to find a husband who was perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

suprunp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
‘[Harding's wife:] [...] Unlike most Italian husbands he’s absolutely faithful to her and he’s kindness itself.’ She [Harding's wife] looked at Harding with a sort of humorous grimness. ‘I’ve yet to find a husband who was perfect.’
‘You’d better start looking around pretty soon, dear, or it’ll be too late,’ he retorted with a grin.
(W.S. Maugham; A Woman of Fifty)

What is the reason for using 'was' here instead of 'is'?

Thanks.

AlVal

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Ireland
Current Location
UK
‘[Harding's wife:] [...] Unlike most Italian husbands he’s absolutely faithful to her and he’s kindness itself.’ She [Harding's wife] looked at Harding with a sort of humorous grimness. ‘I’ve yet to find a husband who was perfect.’
‘You’d better start looking around pretty soon, dear, or it’ll be too late,’ he retorted with a grin.

Thanks.

It's presumably implying that she's had to _make_ him perfect herself! That, or a mistake!

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

Thanks.

It implies that she has had more than one husband and none of them, including the current one, were perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.