I am happy to write a letter for Mr xx to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul909

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hello everyone, I am drafting a recommendation letter. However, I am not confident with my English writing, so could you tell me if there are any grammar mistakes, please? Thank you so much.

I am happy to write a letter for Mr xx to you. Mr xx contacted me in advance and showed me his CV and undergraduate transcript. I was very impressed with his passion for research and artificial intelligence. After talking with him, I found that he had a clear idea of what he was applying for and an independent and mature idea of what he wanted to do in his future research. He has not only completed courses in artificial intelligence, deep learning, machine learning, and data analysis in his undergraduate studies but also actively participated in internships during his vacation. I think these are what we are wanted for a prospective student. From my perspective, Mr xx is fully prepared for graduate studies, and he has excellent potential for further development. Therefore, I highly recommend him to your school.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Paul909, welcome to the forum. :)
You posted the same thing to the CV and Resumes section. Please don't do that in future. Submitting a duplicate does not increase your chances of a reply!
Who is Mr xx to you, and who are you writing that note (it's too short for a letter of recommendation) to?

Paul909

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Paul909, welcome to the forum. :)
You posted the same thing to the CV and Resumes section. Please don't do that in future. Submitting a duplicate does not increase your chances of a reply!
Who is Mr xx to you, and who are you writing that note (it's too short for a letter of recommendation) to?
Thank you for your reply, teexhar.
"XX" is the name for my student, and I shorten his name to "XX" for convenience. I am writing this to the graduate admission committee, but I have no choice for the reference length because they have word limitations. So, I pay more attention to the grammar issues. Thank you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you for your reply, teechar.

"XX" is the name for of my student, and I shortened his name to "XX" for convenience. I am writing this to the graduate admission committee, but I have no choice for say in the reference length of the letter because they have word limitations put a limit on the number of words [I can use]. So, I pay more attention to am specifically concerned about the any grammar issues. Thank you.

"XX" isn't a shortened form of "XX"! I think you mean that you have used "XX" in place of your student's real name.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
How about this?
I am happy to write this letter of recommendation for Mr xx to you. Mr xx has a very impressive academic record and genuine passion for research especially into artificial intelligence. He has a clear idea of what he is applying for and is an independent and mature learner. He has not only completed courses in artificial intelligence, deep learning, machine learning, and data analysis in his undergraduate studies, but also actively and successfully participated in internships during his vacations. I think these are important and valuable qualities for a prospective student. From my perspective, Mr xx is fully prepared for graduate studies, and he has excellent potential for further development. Therefore, I highly recommend him to your school.

Reactions: 5jj

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think you should start by stating what your relationship to Mr.xx is. Then perhaps say:

He is a diligent researcher and is very interested in artificial intelligence.

Since you are his teacher, it would be weird if you hadn't talked to him. It would also be weird if he didn't have a clear idea about what he is applying for.

Try:

He has completed courses in artificial intelligence, deep learning, machine learning, and data analysis in his undergraduate studies, and he interned at XYZ during his vacation.

Most (or all) of that could have been written by Mr. XX.

What can you say from your perspective?

Please note that if you use past tense you give the impression that things have changed. For example, if you say, "I was impressed ...." I would expect you to follow that up with why you're not impressed now.

Since you are limited in the number of words you can use you need to choose them well and say something meaningful with each one.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I am happy to recommend xxx to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.