[General] I asked a realtor to evaluate my house and....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I want to sell my house in a mountain resort and buy a new one. Today I asked a realtor to appraise how much it can be sold and he said 300,000 yuan. I wrote a sentence to express the idea: "I asked a realtor to evaluate my house and he said I can sell it at 300, 000 yuan".

Is my italic sentence natural?

Not quite. You used the wrong preposition and inserted an incorrect space.

Not quite. You used the wrong preposition and inserted an incorrect space.

I asked a realtor to evaluate my house and he said I can sell it to 300,000 yuan.

Is the above one better, GS?

May I ask your version of how this could be expressed because I want to learn idiomatic English?

Try:

He said I could sell it for 300,000 yuan.

I want to sell my house in a mountain resort and buy a new one. Today I asked a realtor to tell me how much it could be sold for, and he said 300,000 yuan. I wrote a sentence to express the idea: "I asked a realtor to evaluate my house and he said I can sell it at 300, 000 yuan".

Is my italic sentence natural?

You can either ask the realtor to do an appraisal or you can use the longer version. (Please don't mix the two.)

Is it better to say:

I found a realtor to evaluate my house and he said I could sell it for 300,000 yuan.

Your versions are overly wordy. How about this?

A realtor valued my house at 300,000 yuan.

Note: AE realtor = BE estate agent.

Use 'valued' rather than 'evaluated'. It's more idiomatic (in BE at least).

An estate agent will usually overestimate the value of your house as a basis for negotiation — expecting prospective buyers to offer less than that in the first insrance.

I think I'd choose to use 'appraise' in place of 'value', although the latter doesn't bother me nearly as much as 'evaluate'.

A realtor appraised my house at 300,000 yuan.

FYI, At current exchange rates, 300,000 yuan = USD46,700 and GBP33,100.

Use 'valued' rather than 'evaluated'. It's more idiomatic (in BE at least).

I think I'd choose to use 'appraise' in place of 'value', although the latter doesn't bother me nearly as much as 'evaluate'.

I'm quite surprised that in American English, realtors use the word appraise for this.

Over here, we'd say that what the agent is doing when they calculate how much to put the house on the market for is a valuation, not an evaluation, and not an appraisal. So for us, the verb value is used. It isn't really idiomatic, it's just more accurate.

I'm quite surprised that in American English, realtors use the word appraise for this.
American county auditors and other officials use the same term for the official valuation that property taxes are based on.

Footnote: Realtor is a registered trademark. In theory, only those real estate agents who pay annual membership dues can call themselves realtors, but it's a rule that is often flouted.

FYI, At current exchange rates, 300,000 yuan = USD46,700 and GBP33,100.

Much appreciated for this information. My mom bought it a few years ago in a local mountain resort at 200,000 yuan. Now, more and more people (especially elderlies) tend to spend five to six months every year in that resort because the weather is good and the food is purely organic. During winter seasons, people get there for skiing and skating.

In Malaysia where BrE is used, the professionals who are licensed to value/carry out valuation of properties are called a valuers.

Thank you for this information. My mom bought it a few years ago in a local mountain resort for 200,000 yuan. Now, more and more people (especially older people) tend to spend five to six months every year at that resort because the weather is good and the food is purely organic. During winter seasons, people go there for skiing and skating.

Please note suggestions.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back