Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello dear teachers!

Which one do you believe is correct?

It is to be used in a newspaper, so I personaly think the second one is better since there is nobody to remonstrate with the writer at the time of writing.

I fear being cavilled at for making such comments.
I fear that I will be cavilled at for making such comments.

Thanks.

Hello dear teachers!

Which one do you believe is correct?

It is to be used in a newspaper, so I personaly think the second one is better since there is nobody to remonstrate with the writer at the time of writing.

I fear being cavilled at for making such comments.
I fear that I will be cavilled at for making such comments.

Thanks.
You are not using "cavilled" correctly.

And "cavil" is not exactly a common word, at least here in America. I just had to look it up.

And "cavil" is not exactly a common word, at least here in America. I just had to look it up.

I had to look it up too. I had never heard it.

It's not common here either, I had to check the dictionary to be sure I had the meaning right.

Thanks for your answers

Would you please explain why? is it nit usually used i passive form? what do you suggest that I use instead?

Thanks for your answers

Would you please explain why? is it nit usually used i passive form? what do you suggest that I use instead?

The definition I looked at didn't give examples of it in the passive and from what I could see, I didn't get the impression that the passive would be a natural form.

He finds something to cavil at in everything I say.
That man is very difficult to deal with in a meeting. He cavils each item of the proposed agenda.

I've usually seen it as a noun: to be subjected to cavil, for example. I see nothing wrong with the sentences given, except that the preposition "at" strikes me as superfluous.

I've usually seen it as a noun: to be subjected to cavil, for example. I see nothing wrong with the sentences given, except that the preposition "at" strikes me as superfluous.

Having never heard it before, I only had the definition I looked up to go on, which states it's normally followed by "at" or "about". It does also give two definitions of the word as a noun.

Yes, but ending the clause with the preposition sounds a bit clumsy to me when you can say it without.

NOT A TEACHER

I have just found the following entry which I hope may be of help here:

cavil
cavils, cavilling, cavilled
VERB: no passive (disapproval)
Explanation

Collins Cobuild Advanced Learner’s English Dictionary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back