I had a happy life in my university, especially when I was living in the dormitory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kachibibb

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
I had a happy life in my university, especially when I was living in the school dormitory.

Do native speakers find the above sentence strange? The first clause talks about the life in the university as a whole, but the second clause is not about the life in the main campus in general but in the campus' dormitory.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's understandable but not very natural.

I enjoyed university life, particularly when I was living in halls.

"Halls" is the word used in BrE for accommodation provided by a university, usually only available during a student's first year. After that, they're expected to rent private accommodation. Don't mix "university" and "school" if you're using BrE. They're never the same thing.

kachibibb

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Ok thank you!

Is "especially" wrong so you use "particularly"? What is the mistake if yes?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Dorm" is commonly used in AmE. The full word "dormitory" is rarely used.

And "halls" are where classes/lectures are held, not where students live.

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
OK. Thank you!

Is "especially" wrong? [STRIKE]so[/STRIKE] Is that why you used "particularly"? If so, what [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] was the mistake? [STRIKE]if yes?[/STRIKE]

Sorry, my response was a bit misleading. I thought you'd used "particularly" in your original so I thought I was using the same word as you! You can use "especially" too.

kachibibb

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Sorry I have one additional question about the main question.

Now I understand I can add one more clause after the main clause to enlarge or limit the scope of the main clause. But, see below:

I had a fruitful, happy life in my university, particularly when I was living in the hall/ dorm.

If I add "fruitful" in the first clause, does this make a problem for the second clause? The second clause is narrowing the scope of university life to the dorm life. But "fruitful" is not suitable for dorm life right?

What I ask is, if I use more than one adjective in the first clause, must ALL adjectives be applicable to what I write in the second clause? Now, "happy" surely has no problem for "dorm life" but "fruitful" sounds a bit strange. But while both adjectives are used to describe university life as a whole, which has no problem, do you native speakers automatically leave "fruitful" and just have "happy" in mind when reading the "dorm life" clause?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I don't find fruit, happy life in my university natural, not that there's anything wrong. There is no hard and fast rule about using adjectives. You started with the general and make a point about one particular aspect, which is fine.

I think a bit of rewording might make it more natural: I had a fruitful and happy time/experience at university...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.