Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I was chatting with Thomas, an old friend of mine. We haven't chatted with each other for a long time. He used to work in a primary school, and then taught English in a kindergarten. And now he's working in one of the universities here in my city. When he told me "I now work in Southwest University in Beibei now", I was very happy because I know he's been working so hard to find a decent job. I said to him:

I'm happy for you.

Would native speakers of English express it like I did? If not, could you please suggest an alternative?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That's fine. However, I would say, "We hadn't chatted with each other in a long time." Why? Because you just did. Therefore, "haven't" doesn't apply now.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Recently/Last week/Yesterday, I was chatting with Thomas, an old friend of mine. We haven't hadn't chatted with each other for a long time. He used to work in a primary school, and then taught English in a kindergarten, and now he's working in one of the universities here in my city. When he told me "I now work in Southwest University in Beibei now", I was very happy because I know he'd been working so very hard to find a decent job. I said to him:

I'm happy for you.

Would native speakers of English express it like I did? If not, could you please suggest an alternative?
Note my changes above. Your sentence is perfect for the situation.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If you're feeling overly sentimental or mushy, you could even say "I'm so very happy for you."🤮

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Note my changes above. Your sentence is perfect for the situation.
Is there another natural expression for the situation? I ask this because Skrej said it might sound sentimental or mushy.

Please also help me with this question but with a bit different context:

"Yesterday, I was chatting with Thomas, an old friend of mine. We hadn't chatted with each other for a long time. He used to work in a primary school, then taught English in a kindergarten, and now he's working in one of the universities here in my city. I know he'd been trying very hard to find a decent job even though he never told me this but I could deduce from his previous words with me and now he'd finally found one. What can I say to him when he told me "Silver, I work in one of the best universities in Chongqing now". I think "Good to hear that" or "Congratulations!" are both okay, but I wonder if there's a better alternative."

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Is there another natural expression for the situation? I ask this because Skrej said it might sound sentimental or mushy.
They said that of "I'm so very happy for you," not of your original words.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
How about my second question in #5? Please enlighten me.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"Yesterday, I was chatting with Thomas, an old friend of mine. We hadn't chatted with each other for a long time. He used to work in a primary school, then taught English in a kindergarten, and now he's working in one of the universities here in my city.
That's fine - I would say that because it's what I suggested! :)
I know he'd been trying very hard to find a decent job even though he never told me this but I could deduce from his previous words with me and now he'd finally found one.
Blue part: That makes no sense. You can't say you know he'd been trying hard to find a decent job unless he or someone else told you that.
Green part: That doesn't work. You could try something like "but I'd deduced that from something he'd said to me before". (Bear in mind that that negates the blue part.)
What can I say to him when he told me "Silver, I work in one of the best universities in Chongqing now". I think "Good to hear that" or "Congratulations!" are both okay, but I wonder if there's a better alternative."
Both of those are OK. They don't mean the same thing but they're just as appropriate as "I'm happy for you". Here are a few more:

That's great!
Great news!
Fantastic!
Splendid! (One of my favourite words.)
Fab! (If you want to sound like a British person from the 1970s.)
Groovy! (If you want to sound even more like the above.)
I'm really pleased for you.
Can you get me a job there? (I'm joking about this one.)

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If you're looking for something a bit more subdued, then a simple "Good for you" or even just "Congrats" would work.

'Congrats' is more informal and slightly less emphatic than 'congratulations'.