Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
John wants to work for Bob. Bob asks him to fill out a form. John fills it out, hands it over to Bob and leaves. Bob reads what John has written, and then, an hour later, he summons John into his office again. John enters the office, and Bob says the sentence below to him.

[I've noticed]/[I noticed] that in the form you filled out, under occupation, you put down unemployed. I know that you're a lawyer and that you work for XXX. Why did you lie?

Which option is correct in this case? Or are they both correct? Thanks in advance.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
John wants to work for Bob. Bob asks him to fill out a form. John fills it out, hands it over to Bob and leaves. Bob reads what John has written, and then, an hour later, he summons John into his office again. John enters the office, and Bob says: the sentence below to him.

[I've noticed]/[I noticed] that in the form you filled out, under occupation, you put down unemployed. I know that you're a lawyer and that you work for XXX. Why did you lie?

Which option is correct in this case no question mark here or are they both correct?

Thanks in advance. Unnecessary. Thank us after we help you, by adding the "Thanks" icon to any response you find helpful.
There's no reason for the present perfect there. You noticed it so say "I noticed ...".

Note my corrections and comments above.

EngLearner

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
If Bob had said to John one of the following versions instead:

A. I've read what you wrote, and I noticed that you put down unemployed under occupation. I know that you're a lawyer and that you work for XXX. Why did you lie?

B. I read what you wrote, and I noticed that you put down unemployed under occupation. I know that you're a lawyer and that you work for XXX. Why did you lie?

Do the bolded tenses work in them?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
They are both OK.