Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi,
Which of the following sentences is correct or which one is better when someone asks me, "What's your major?"
1- I study mathematics at university.
2- I'm studying mathematics at university.

Last edited:
To say which is true, one would have to know whether you are studying mathematics at university; if you are, then both are true. (If you missed the point, 'true' is not the right word.) Try 'correct' or 'right'.
If someone asks "What's your major?", they already know that you study/are studying at university. I'd say that the best response is "Mathematics".
As to which of your sentences is better, if someone asks, "What do you do?", 1 is better.
If someone asks, "What are you doing these days?", 2 is better.
They both mean essentially the same thing.

The answer to "What's your major?" is "[My major is] mathematics". If you're asked "What are you studying?", then you can say "Mathematics", "I'm studying mathematics at university" or "I study mathematics at university". I see no difference between the present continuous and the present simple there.

Edit: Cross-posted with Raymott.

The answer to "What's your major?" is "[My major is] mathematics". If you're asked "What are you studying?", then you can say "Mathematics", "I'm studying mathematics at university" or "I study mathematics at university". I see no difference between the present continuous and the present simple there.

Edit: Cross-posted with Raymott.

1. Which university do you study at?
2. Which university do you go to?

Are the above sentences correct?

Yes.

So are:

Which university do you attend?
Which university are you studying at?
Where are you studying?
Which university are you at?

Status
Not open for further replies.