Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
If I'm a sophomore at K University who is on summer vacation. Then I meet someone and want to introduce myself. Which one is correct "I'm studying at K University" or "I study at K University"?
Thanks you

[Not a teacher]

You can use the present simple (I study) or the present continuous (I am studying) to describe something that you regularly do in a given time period, although the present continous usually implies that the situation or action is or may be temporary.

I study at K University
(as a permanent or long-term activity, because you are a regular student).

I am studying at K Univerity (as something that is temporary or may be not permanent, because, for instance, you are studying some course, module, workshop or whatever other learning program.

Last edited:
Hi.:-D

"I study at the K University."

May I leave the definite article out?

We need to know the official name of 'K University'.

Hi.:-D

"I study at the K University."

May I leave the definite article out?

[Not a teacher]

Yes. "...at K University", if it were a particular institution (I study at Cambridge University).

On the contrary, we would include the article if we were referring to a kind of place or a non-specified place or institution: I study at the/a local university.

Last edited:
The normal use of articles with university names is as follows:

I study at K University.
I study at the University of K.

However, there are some exceptions- Rover_KE is right to say that we'd need to know the official name to be sure.

Last edited:
Tdol, your first 'as" should be "at"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back