Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello everyone,

From the book Choose Your Story, Change Your Life by Kindra Hall.

About a week after Michael and I bought our first home together, I was at a girlfriend’s house for happy hour, and she mentioned the house across the street from her in a super desirable neighborhood was about to go up for sale. Michael had been talking for years about doing more real estate investing, and this sounded like the perfect house. The girls and I walked over, looked in the windows.

Happy hour is a marketing term for a time when a venue such as a restaurant or bar offers reduced prices on alcoholic drinks. Discounted menu items like appetizers are often served during happy hour. This is a way for bars and restaurants to draw in more business before or after peak business hours.

So if it is a girlfriend's house, not a restaurant or bar, what does "happy hour" mean?

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
My best guess would be that perhaps she and her girlfriend were drinking alcohol (cocktails maybe) in the house, and jokingly called it "happy hour". As far as I know, "happy hour" doesn't refer to a specific time of day. I've never come across it being used for anything other than the meaning you specified.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
You buy a drink and get another of the same free.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You buy a drink and get another of the same free.
That's the deal at some establishments. In the UK, that's sometimes referred to as a "twofer" (two for the price of one). There are other deals. Sometimes it's a percentage off every drink. There are myriad possibilities at happy hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.