Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
A mechanic has replaced a few parts in John's car. John has driven his car back home and put it in the garage. John's friend Peter is walking by John's garage when John notices him. They start talking. Peter then pays attention to John's car and says: "That's a nice car." John says to him:

Yeah, it's almost like new. The mechanic has replaced parts A and B. I was in his garage <only><just><just only> twenty minutes ago.

Are all three options acceptable in this case?

EngLearner

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
There's this text (this link):

Banking doesn't get much duller than in Japan. The biggest banks there treat the internet as if it had only just been discovered. Their customers are less likely to use mobile or online banking than are their peers in a number of other rich countries (see chart 1).

By analogy with the banking example, would it be correct to use "only just" in the example in post #1:

Yeah, it's almost like new. The mechanic has replaced parts A and B. I was in his garage only just twenty minutes ago.

Or does "only just" work with perfect tenses only (as in "I've only just finished my homework." etc.)?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
By analogy with the banking example, would it be correct to use "only just" in the example in post #1:

Yeah, it's almost like new. The mechanic has replaced parts A and B. I was in his garage only just twenty minutes ago.
No. The two sentences are about different time-situations.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
No, it doesn't work in that sentence. You can't use 'only just' to modify periods of time like 'twenty minutes ago'. You use it to modify actions:

I only just arrived like twenty minutes ago.
We've only just begun!
Even if you left right now, you'd still only just make it.
I'm only just getting home now.