I was really stupid to follow/to have followed my mother´s advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dominik92

Member Type
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Hello all.

I have the following sentence:

I was really stupid to follow/to have followed my mother´s advice. She was totally wrong.

My textbook says I can use both "to follow" and "to have followed" as well. I would go for the "to follow" because to me it seems to be the most logical option. Why is it possible to use perfect infinitive? Does that emphasise something special compare to the "normal" infinitive?
Thank you :))

Dominik92

Member Type
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Yes, but the textbook says that often there is no difference between using simple infinitive or perfect infinitive. I wonder whether I can always use both simple infinitive or perfect infinitve without changing the meaning drastically. I assume there will always be situations where one of these two will fit much better but in my original sentence I would use "to follow" and consider "to have followed" to be wrong. Is it just about "wrong" use of language even from native speakers that "to have followed" is possible?

Thanks

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
there is no difference between using simple infinitive or perfect infinitive.
I think there is difference between the following ones:
1. I am happy to go there. ── I have not yet gone there.
2. I am happy to have gone there. ── I went there previously.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
NOT A TEACHER

Hello, Dominik:

1. I agree with you that it might be better to say "I was really stupid to follow my mother's advice."

a. The rule seems to be this: Use the present tense of the infinitive if two things happen at the same time.

b. Let's say that yesterday your mother told you to take an umbrella to school, and yesterday you did so. When you arrived at school yesterday, all the other students laughed at you, for it turned out to be a very sunny day.

c. So today you might tell a friend: "I was stupid [yesterday] to follow my mother's advice [yesterday]. Today I am not going to listen to any advice that she gives me."

2. According to the rules, you should use the present perfect infinitive when you are referring to a time before the time expressed in the main verb.

a. I am happy (now at 9:30 a.m.) to have had this talk with you (from 9:00 to 9:30 a.m.).

3. Many books remind us that native speakers often break the rules.

a. For example, some people may say "I intended to have stopped in to see you when I was in Kalamazoo." According to the rules, it should be: "I intended [on June 20] to stop in [on June 20] to see you when I was in Kalamazoo."

Credit: The example sentences in No. 2 and No.3 come from Paul Roberts's Understanding Grammar (copyright 1954).

***** Here are more examples from another book.

4. He is lucky [today] to have found his wallet [yesterday].
5. I am sorry [now] to have startled [scared] you so [a few minutes ago].

6. We had intended to visit them on the way home. [The intending and the visiting were on the same day.]
7. Alan did not expect to be rewarded. [Same kind of explanation.]

Credit: Corbin, Blough, and Beek in their Guide to Modern English [for Grade] 10 (copyright 1965).

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Many books remind us that native speakers often break the rules.

Many supposed rules of grammar never existed in English until a self-appointed expert invented them.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Learners would do well to follow the rules, but should not be surprised to hear well educated speakers not following them.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.