I work on my biceps" or "Yesterday I worked on my chest".

Status
Not open for further replies.

tufguy

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
We say "I work on my biceps" or "Yesterday I worked on my chest". Am I correct? Do we say it with or without "On"?

Do we also say "Machine that works your biceps, your triceps"? Do we need to use "On" in this sentence?

slevlife

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Serbia
Your second sentence ("Yesterday I worked on my chest") is good. Your first and third sentences feel like they are missing words. Here are some similar and natural-sounding alternatives:

1. I like to work on my biceps.
2. I like to work my biceps hard.
3. I work on my biceps every day.
4. I work biceps and triceps at the gym.
5. That machine really works your biceps!
6. That machine is for working on your biceps.

The verbs "work on" and "work" are subtly different here. They can both be correct depending on the supporting words and intended meaning. In this context, "work on" means "spend time on" or "improve," and "work" (when combined with a possessive pronoun like "my") means something like "cause to work hard." In my fourth sentence without the possessive pronoun, "work" is more like "exercise."

Using "work my biceps" in this context is more colloquial and carries the feeling of treating your muscles as a separate entity from yourself. You are forcing them (your muscles) to work hard. This is fine to use and sounds natural, especially if you add something for emphasis like "hard", "really", or an exclamation mark. However, in some sentences it might sound a little boastful.

It sounds weird to say "That machine works on your biceps" because the biceps are yours, not the machine's. You use the machine to work on your biceps.

Last edited:

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
We say "I work on my biceps" or "Yesterday I worked on my chest". Am I correct? Do we say it with or without "On"?
It's okay with or without 'on'. You'll see and hear it both ways.

I work biceps, triceps and delts on Mondays and Wednesdays. I work quads and calves Tuesdays and Thursdays. Fridays I work on pecs.

Do we also say "Machine that works your biceps, your triceps"? Do we need to use "On" in this sentence?

Don't use 'on' with this sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.