[Grammar] if + future

Status
Not open for further replies.
Standard according to...? Is being a native speaker a source reputable enough?
No.
Because that's what you're saying.
Note quite. You're assuming that my only qualification for saying what I do is that I'm a native speaker. You're disregarding any experience I might have in linguistics or literature, which I think counts for smething. It's true that I have not written a grammar book; but I cannot see how having written a grammar book automatically gives a person a right to say what is normal English. At the same time you are dismissing possibly 200 cumulative years of experience by those regular members here who accept it as normal, and who in the past have demonstrated sound judgement in matters of what's "acceptable" English.
I reject your premise that "If you will be going ..." has to be in a grammar book for it to be grammatical.

Show me a grammarian who agrees that 'if...will be -ing" is standard English.
No, you show me one who says it's not.

The reason for the request is this. I haven't been able to find such a source, and that has me (as well as the OP--See Post #1) wondering why that is if such a construct is standard English, as you'd expect it to be in a grammar book somewhere, right?
No, not necessarily. As I've said before, a grammar book cannot cover all possible productions in a language. They are necessarily reductive and rule-orientated; and all possible exceptions are rarely given.

Which is what the OP asked. When another poster asked the same question (about source), you responded with something about there not being books dealing with advanced rules.
Again, not quite. There are advanced grammars, and there are advanced rules; but I cannot name a grammr book that covers everything in English. Can you?

To be clear, I am not disputing what you think; I am asking for clarification:
If said structure is standard English, then why is it that no one has of yet been able to provide a source for that?
The source for a language is the people who speak it! Not the lackeys who gather examples of speech and describe it in books! I don't mean to be disrespectful of grammarians, but you do know that what grammarians do is go out into the real world, and listen to what Bhai and Rover and I say, and report that as "English", don't you?

Could it be because the structure is non-standard? If so, great. If not, even better. But relying on the grammaticality judgments of native speakers alone is not a reputable enough source. It's just bad teaching.
If you will be willing to grant me a little time to find examples of "If X will be going ...", I will, in the meantime, give some evidence that "If" and "will" are not contradictory, and in fact, quite popular:
Some of my sources are:
Jane Austen, Charles Dickens, Oscar Wilde ... (I won't post them all).

“Well, I believe, if you will excuse me, Mr. Knightley ...”
“Mrs. Weston, if you will dance with me."
"Whom are you going to dance with?" asked Mr. Knightley.
She hesitated a moment, and then replied, "With you, if you will
ask me."
"Will you?" said he, offering his hand.
(Emma, Jane Austen)

“You can set these doubts at rest, I think, if you will really help me to discover
the truth. Will you, mother?' ...
'If you will be good enough to take me with my present
lofty expression, I shall feel obliged.'”
“'And if you will be so good, ...”
(Little Dorrit, Dickens)

“"I don't know if he will be able to come, Harry.”
(Picture of Dorian Grey, Wilde)

PS: Please tell me if you don't accept literary sources - it will save me some trouble looking for them.

Last edited:
I’ve checked a few websites. You’ll notice that I’ve weeded out obviously non-native sites, and yahoo chat sites etc. Many of these are government, university or health sites. If you don’t accept these as normal uses of the language, then we’ll just have to agree to disagree about what constitutes proper English.

What Happens on the Day of Surgery? If you will be going to sleep for the surgery, you probably won't be able to eat breakfast
http://kidshealth.org/kid/feel_better/places/or.html#

Buy some clothes while you are in Lima instead of bringing too much. If you will be going to Lima, Iquitos, and Tumbes you may need warm and cool weather clothes.
http://www.public-health.uiowa.edu/CEID/Training/10%20Things%20I%20recommend%20to%20students%20going%20to%20Peru.doc

If you will be going through a U.S. university, please ensure that its program uses its own classes and professors
http://ocs-web2.ocs.lsu.edu/apa/international/non_affiliated_programs.asp

If you will be going home that same day, you will receive detailed instructions for taking care of yourself at home and a prescription for pain medication
http://www.hss.edu/what-to-expect.asp

If you will be going to two or three teleseminars a week, don't pick two seminars dealing with the same stuff.
http://ezinearticles.com/?Going-to-Teleseminars?--What-Internet-Marketing-Beginners-Can-and-Should-Expect&id=1062566

Prior to logging into Step One of the Online Housing Selection process, you must first decide if you will be going through the process as an individual or as a pre-determined 4-person group
http://ww2.ramapo.edu/students/reslife/housing/checklist.aspx

If you will be going home following the procedure, you will be asked to have someone drive you
http://lungcancer.about.com/od/whatislungcancer/a/mediastinoscopy.htm

There’s 40-odd million more of these (all together). I can’t see the point of posting any more. It seems to be perverse to have to look for a grammarian to give the green light to these sentences.

There’s 40-odd million more of these (all together). I can’t see the point of posting any more. It seems to be perverse to have to look for a grammarian to give the green light to these sentences.
Oh, there are even more for "ain't" and other non-standard constructs. Or are you saying they too are standard?

To be clear (yet again), source is the issue.

Oh, there are even more for "ain't" and other non-standard constructs. Or are you saying they too are standard?

To be clear (yet again), source is the issue.
I've given source. I'm resting my case.
Those who cannot make a decision with the evidence given can do the further work themselves.

PS: If you want to argue that grammarians are the source of language, you could start a General Discussion thread.

Last edited:
Standard according to...? Is being a native speaker a source reputable enough? Because that's what you're saying. Show me a grammarian who agrees that 'if...will be -ing" is standard English.
Not so long ago, lauralie, on another thread, you accused me of being unprofessional when I asked if something you claimed was your own feeling or if other writers supported your view. You appear to be doing what I did; I assume it's not unprofessional when you do it.

Raymott has already listed several other experienced people who support his view. Mav has quoted me, also supporting this view(and I have contributed to a published grammar!).

If you really want, I will give you page numbers from several grammars written by internationally respected linguists confirming that will is not infrequently used in if-clauses - so long as you do not tell me to get my head out of books, or accuse me of quirkology.

Here are some examples of will in the if-clause to keep us going:

The Modal Verb (most typically wiil or would) may occur in conditional clause if they have a meaning of willingness or prediction, or where it is important to mark politeness::
If you’ll wait a minute, I’ll fetch the porter to help you
Carter, Ronald & McCarthy, Michael (2006) Cambridge Grammar of English, Cambridge: CUP. Page 750

In general, epistemic modal are not used in conditional protases, but they are certainly not excluded:
If we will have an unusually wet winter ( as the meteorological office predict, the threat of a serious eater shortage will recede, for the time being at least.
Huddleston, Rodney & Pullim, Geoffrey K (2002) The Cambridge Grammar of the English Language, Page 744.

If you will go out without your overcoat, what can you expect?
Quirk, Randolph, Greenbaum, Sidney, Leech, Geoffrey and Svartik, Jan (1985) A Comprehensive Grammar of the English Language, London: Longman. Page 229

Here are some examples of will in the if-clause to keep us going:
Sigh...Thank you, but the construct under discussion is not 'will' in if-clauses (yet another white rabbit); we are discussing 'if...will be -ing' (i.e, If you will be visiting), if + future progressive/continuous.

My question still remains unanswered:

• Where can I learn more about if+future progressive/continuous (i.e. if you will be -ing)?

I have never heard "if you will be". It's new to me (Google has examples though, but that doesn't make the structure standard English.) Aren't 'if' and 'will' contrary? You'd expect the present tense (if you are going to visit). But...the abstract of the article (see link below) may prove otherwise.

Maybe the posters who find the construct acceptable will speak up on why they think it so.

Sigh...Thank you, but the construct under discussion is not 'will' in if-clauses (yet another white rabbit); we are discussing 'if...will be -ing' (i.e, If you will be visiting), if + future progressive/continuous.
;-)

Not so long ago, lauralie, on another thread, you accused me of being unprofessional
That's because you were. The situation here is not the same. In this case source is the issue: where can a student of English access information on if+future progressive/continuous?

Raymott has already listed several other experienced people who support his view. Mav has quoted me, also supporting this view(and I have contributed to a published grammar!).
Again, source is the issue: no one has of yet provided a source from which students can gain a better understanding of the construct under discussion; your contribution does not deal with examples of if+ future progressive/continuous.

If you really want, I will give you page numbers from several grammars written by internationally respected linguists confirming that will is not infrequently used in if-clauses
Again, there are way too many white rabbits about. The construct under discussion is if+future progressive/continuous.

:-D If ... will be -ing :-D

That's because you were. The situation here is not the same. In this case source is the issue: where can a student of English access information on if+future progressive/continuous?

Again, source is the issue: no one has of yet provided a source from which students can gain a better understanding of the construct under discussion; your contribution does not deal with examples of if+ future progressive/continuous.

Again, there are way too many white rabbits about. The construct under discussion is if+future progressive/continuous.

:-D If ... will be -ing :-D
Source information:
Date (1985-1994) Title Teaching English with video. Allan, Margaret. Harlow: Longman Group UK Ltd, 1985, pp. 3-105. 1874 s-units. Expanded context:
"...will cut out the internal mike when plugged in. Some recorders can take two external mikes. This is the most useful optional extra, particularly for classroom recording where sound is always a problem. Microphones are built to pick up sound from specific directions. In-built camera mikes are omnidirectional and therefore indiscriminate in the sound they pick up. In classrooms a directional mike can give you a much better chance of recording only the sound you want instead of all the sound in the room. You can also record stereo sound with some systems. (b) Additional lights If you will be recording in rooms with poor natural or artificial light you can get special lights to boost the light you have. Those most commonly used with domestic equipment have a power rating of 850VA and are known as " redheads ". Don't use extra lights unless you have to because they make small spaces very hot very quickly and they can make a classroom recording a very uncomfortable experience for everyone. So far we have looked only at what you need to record the raw material. We also..."

"...If you will be recording in rooms with poor natural or artificial light you can get special lights to boost the light you have."
Yes, there are examples of such constructs (the OP's, for starters), so providing another isn't really all that much help at this point. (Gee, you guys, I feel like many of the students who come here thinking they'll get a clear answer to a simple question, yet end up leaving baffled.)

To be clear (once again), no one is disputing the construct; yes, people use it. What's under debate is whether or not such a construct is standard English, and if it is, then why isn't its grammar (i.e., its function and distribution) accessible to learners?

Does anyone know of a source that talks about the function and distribution of if+future progressive/continuous? It's a simple question, right?

It is clear you have spotted an interesting subtlety of the English language.

If I were you, I would do some serious research about it and try to write some papers on the subject. Then, after those first steps, write new usage/grammar books (why not?).

The rule that "will" cannot be the auxiliary verb in if- or when-clauses is certainly taught to non-native speakers. Most of us (I mean Poles now, I don't know about others) struggle with it first because it seems strange. Then we learn to obey the rule. I dare say most proficient non-native speakers of English would find this usage awkward--- just because they have been taught it is. (This is according to my experience. It's not necessarily true.)

Does anyone know of a source that talks about the function and distribution of if+future progressive/continuous? It's a simple question, right?
Yes, now that you frame it that way, it's a very simple question with a very simple answer. The answer appears to be, "No, no one currently reading this thread knows of such as source, and no one is motivated enough to search all their grammar books for one."

As far as learners being baffled, yes that happens often. There are various reasons they remain baffled, and the lack of an authoritative grammar source is rarely one of them. Having contradictory grammarian's opinions is more common.
You are looking for something that you would call "authority". In my opinion, there is enough authority on this group to satisfy most learners' questions.

By the way, you did not answer my question (not that I consider you obliged to). Can you cite an authoritative source that explains why, "If you will be going ..." is not good English?

Raymott’s answer (post #35), pretty well summed it up, but I will add a more verbose post.

First of all, I will make Lauralie happy by admitting that I cannot show her “a grammarian who agrees that 'if...will be -ing" is standard English”. This does not disturb me. As several members of this forum, including three British, an Australian and an American, all of whom have shown in repeated threads that they know something about the English language, have said that they are happy that it is standard English, then I go with Raymott: “Can you cite an authoritative source that explains why, "If you will be going ..." is not good English?”

Vgv8 asked (post #7): “Can you give an example of helpful sentence with if +will?” Raymott produced examples from Austen, Dickens and Wilde, and I produced examples from leading writers on grammar.

Lauralie wrote (post #8): “I have never heard "if you will be". It's new to me.” Three of Raymott’s sentences contained if+will be.

Lauralie wrote (post #20) “But relying on the grammaticality judgments of native speakers alone is not a reputable enough source. It's just bad teaching.”

Let’s just leave aside for one moment the fact that Lauralie has taken me to task in other threads for citing grammarians in support of my arguments, this is just a fatuous pair of statements. If a number of experienced native speakers with years of teaching experience feel that something is standard English, then it probably is. They, (we), do not need a grammarian to confirm what we observe every day. IF a leading grammarian writes that it is unacceptable (and nobody has produced such a grammarian yet!), then we may reconsider, but I for one reserve the right to believe that the grammarian (if we find one) may be mistaken.

When I began teaching over forty years ago, I told my students what I had read in most grammar and course books at the time – we can never use will in an if-clause. When my students pointed out that I said things such as “If you will leave your homework on my desk at the end of the lesson, I’ll get it back to you tomorrow”, I thought I was speaking incorrectly. After a lot of discussion and research, I realised that the grammar and course book were wrong. We can, and do, use will in the if-clause. We don’t normally use it to express pure futurity, but we do use it for a number of other reasons. In their attempts to stop students producing such (normally) unacceptable utterances as “If it will rain tomorrow, I will take my umbrella”, writers had over-simplified the situation. They were wrong. Those of us native speakers who used our own judgement in saying that will could be used in an if-clause, were right, as most grammars now accept.

For over a century, most serious writers on grammar have attempted to be descriptive, rather than prescriptive. They note what people say, rather than what they should say (although some have fallen into the prescriptivist trap – the shall/will future and the “no will in the if-clause are two examples of this).

Raymott did just what other grammarians do – checked up on what people wrote, and found a number of example of will+BE+verb+ing. He wrote, “You’ll notice that I’ve weeded out obviously non-native sites, and yahoo chat sites etc. Many of these are government, university or health sites. If you don’t accept these as normal uses of the language, then we’ll just have to agree to disagree about what constitutes proper English.” I think that I’ll take what people write, and what Raymott, billmcd, bhaisahab, apex2000 and others and I accept. Oh, by the way, the Corpus of Contemporary American English records 46 examples of if+will+be, 16 of them being will+BE+verb+ing. People use it, and no authority has yet been produced to show they are wrong.

Most teachers who work with students at advanced levels would agree with Raymott: “Once you get to a certain level, you're pretty much on your own. If there was a simple advanced rule book that mandated which forms can be used, there would be no controversy - except perhaps from subversives who refused to speak legally.” At advanced levels, there are an almost infinite number of acceptable possibilities, far too many for any grammarian to stamp his/her approval on every one. The experienced teacher normally knows what is acceptable and what is not. In case of doubt, the experienced teacher turns to the grammar book. When the grammar book does not give a clear yea or nay, the experienced teacher turns to experienced colleagues, as we are doing in this thread.

If Lauralie, or anybody else, can produce a serious writer who claims that if+will+BE+verb+ing is not acceptable, then I will look at his/her arguments and consider them, but I feel no need to think that what Raymott, billmcd, bhaisahab, apex2000 and others (including me) are wrong because no authority has explicitly said that we are right. I feel a perverse sort of admiration for Lauralie, whose belief that she is right apparently needs no authority to support her.

We don’t need to prove we are right; all the evidence suggests we are not wrong. Produce one authority who suggests we are wrong, and I will rejoin the discussion. Till then, there is no need.

By the way: I don’t understand why my asking if Lauralie had an authority to support a claim was unprofessional, and her asking us if we have an authority is not. Perhaps we’d better continue that point by PM, so as not to sidetrack the main discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back