[General] If I add 1000 yuan to my account, how much....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I went to the newly opened mall and there's a restaurant offering discount services. Let's say if one adds 300 yuan to his account of that restaurant, he can have a 50 yuan adding to his account (the restaurant give it as a discount), namely, 350 yuan. This account is used for paying the bills. The restaurant has three options of adding money to account: 300 yuan, 500 yuan and 1000 yuan.

Then I asked the waiter "If I add 1000 yuan to my account, how much discount money can I have in total?" Then the waiter said "1200 yuan".

I wonder if you can help me to fix my italic sentence.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I went to the newly opened mall and there's a restaurant offering discounts. [STRIKE]services.[/STRIKE] Let's say if one adds 300 yuan to [STRIKE]his[/STRIKE] their account [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] at that restaurant, [STRIKE]he[/STRIKE] they can have [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] 50 yuan [STRIKE]adding[/STRIKE] added to [STRIKE]his[/STRIKE] their account (the restaurant will give [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] that as a discount), namely, 350 yuan. This account is used for paying [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] bills. The restaurant has three options of adding money to account: 300 yuan, 500 yuan and 1000 yuan.

[STRIKE]Then[/STRIKE] I asked the waiter "If I add 1000 yuan to my account, how much of a discount [STRIKE]money[/STRIKE] can I have in total?" [STRIKE]Then[/STRIKE] The waiter said "1200 yuan".

I wonder if you can help me to fix my italic sentence.

Note my corrections above. It's a very strange way to describe a discount. In fact, I would say categorically that it isn't a discount.

A discount would be "If you add 300 yuan to your account, we will knock 20% off your next bill" (or something similar). They are offering to top your account up with a certain amount every time you add money to your account.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's a bonus, not a discount.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
[STRIKE]I went to the newly opened mall and there's[/STRIKE] A restaurant in a newly opened mall is offering bonus credit. [STRIKE]discount services. Let's say[/STRIKE] For example, if one adds 300 yuan to [STRIKE]his[/STRIKE] their account [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] at that restaurant, they can [STRIKE]have[/STRIKE] receive a 50-yuan bonus credit. [STRIKE]adding to his account (the restaurant give it as a discount), namely, 350 yuan. This account is used for paying the bills.[/STRIKE] The restaurant [STRIKE]has[/STRIKE] gives three options [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] for adding money to an account: 300 yuan, 500 yuan and 1,000 yuan.
[STRIKE] Then[/STRIKE] I asked the waiter there "If I add 1,000 yuan to my account, how much [STRIKE]discount money can[/STRIKE] credit will I have in total?" Then the waiter said "1,200 yuan".
[cross-posted with GS]

Status
Not open for further replies.