If I want to write a title for questions with 'who' in the simple present ...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi teachers,
If I want to write a title for questions with 'who' in the simple present, could this be an appropriate one?
The Simple Present: Questions about People's Identity

Thanks in advance.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
As long as all your questions really are identity-related, then that sounds fine to me. Can you give us a few examples of your "Who?" questions?

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi,
Thank you for your reply. Here they are:
a) Who does Kate love?
b) Who can Sharon visit?
c) Who must Mr. Landon see at work before 9:00?
d) Who has a sports car?
e) Who works at the bookstore?
Etc.
If the title is, 'The Simple Present: Wh-questions about People's Identity', is also correct, isn't it?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Whether you use "Who questions" or "Wh- questions" doesn't really matter, although if they're all "Who" questions then you might as well say so.

The problem I have is with the phrase "People's Identity" - I don't really include things like "having a sports car" as part of someone's identity. Your identity is your name, age, nationality, race, religion and things like that. I wouldn't include things like "Who can Sharon visit?" under "identity" questions.

Having said that, I'm having trouble coming up with an alternative to suggest. Do you have to have a second half to the title? Can you not simply call it "Present Simple - "Who" Questions"?

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
The problem I have is with the phrase "People's Identity" - I don't really include things like "having a sports car" as part of someone's identity. Your identity is your name, age, nationality, race, religion and things like that. I wouldn't include things like "Who can Sharon visit?" under "identity" questions.

Hi,
Thank you for your reply.
If I say 'Who has a sports car in this class? or 'Who has a sports class in the story?' (Imagine we have read one). Aren't we asking for the identity of the agent? Aren't we asking for the person's identity, for the name of the owner?

The same thing with this one, 'Who can Saron visit on Saturdays? She can visit her aunt'. Isn't 'her aunt' the identity of the person she can visit?

Having said that, I'm having trouble coming up with an alternative to suggest. Do you have to have a second half to the title? Can you not simply call it "Present Simple - "Who" Questions"?
There are different titkes on this chapter, they are as follow.
The Simple Present: Questions about Place or Direction
The Simple Present: Questions about Uncountable Quantities
The Simple Present: Questions about Time
etc.
There are about 9 different ones.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
As I said, in my opinion, those questions don't fit "a person's identity". There is a difference between "a person's identity", which is more their personal characteristics and personal profile and "What is the identity/name of the person who has a sports car?", which would simply elicit the name of the car's owner.

How about "The Simple Present: Questions about People"?

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi,
Thank you for your reply.

"The Simple Present: Questions about People
Believe it or not, This is how I originally had it, but then I thought, since the explanations are these ones:
The question word 'who' can introduce questions about the object or receiver of an action.
Examples:
xxxx

The question word 'who' can also introduce questions about the subject or producer of an action.
Examples:
xxxx

Shouldn't the tittle have the word 'identity'? That's why I've asked.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In my opinion, as I have said (but I guess I'm not explaining it very well), the word "identity" has a rather specific definition which I don't think fits the context of the exercise.

I'd be interested to see what other native speakers think about that though! (Help!) ;-)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Shouldn't the tittle have the word 'identity'? That's why I've asked.
No, as ems has made very clear. Frankly, I don't know why your are worrying so much about a title for a group of questions. However, if you must have one, 'Questions about people' is as good as any.

Status
Not open for further replies.