If you eat less salt, your body stays/will stay healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thehammer

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hello, could you please tell me if I should 'if' and 'then' clause in present tense or in simple future tense?

1- If you eat less salt, your body stays healthy.

2- If you eat less salt, your body will stay healthy.

To me first one sounds better.

Are you trying to make a general statement that a low-salt diet is good for you, or are you advising someone in specific to reduce their salt intake to improve their health? Please explain the context behind your sentences.

If you consume salt moderately, your health will benefit.

"Less" is a comparative word, meaning "smaller in amount than [something]". It doesn't mean "a small amount".

could you please tell me if I should use 'if' and 'then' clause in with the present tense or the in simple future tense?
You've referred to "then" in your question but the word doesn't appear in your examples.

To me the first one sounds better.

Hello. Could you please tell me if I should use/put 'if' and 'then' clauses in the present tense or in the simple future tense?

To me, the first one sounds better.
I'd get around the idea of tenses by starting with "Eating ...".

Eating less salt is better for general health.

Note my corrections above. You need to work on your use of articles. I seem to regularly have to add them to your posts. Does Hindi not use articles?

"Less" is a comparative word, meaning "smaller in amount than [something]". It doesn't mean "a small amount".
Less and more in this context would be understood to imply ... than you eat at present.

Are you trying to make a general statement that a low-salt diet is good for you, or are you advising someone in specific to reduce their salt intake to improve their health? Please explain the context behind your sentences.

If you consume salt moderately, your health will benefit.

You've referred to "then" in your question but the word doesn't appear in your examples.
It's a general statement about low-salt diet. So should it be in present tense?

in present tense or in simple future tense?

#2 is not a future tense. Will expresses certainty. Both sentences are possibe.

Last edited:
We don't say that we consume something "moderately". We say that we eat/drink it "in moderation".
I know that "in moderation" is the usual phrase. I chose to use "moderately". We all have our quirks and preferences.

Agreed. Maybe you're right. If it was perfectly natural we wouldn't be discussing it. :) I was saying I know what the usual phrase is.

@thehammer Try: "Eating less salt would be good for your health."

Or: "Eating less salt would be good for you."

Or: "Eating less salt would be a good idea."

Or "Eating less salt would improve your health."

Please note what I left out of those examples.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back