Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
If I am talking about the event that takes place every year, should I use "the traditional event" or "a traditional event"?
I am talking about the school as a general location. If the event takes place inside the school would it be better to say "in"? As far as I know, native speakers use "in" only if it is important to specify the inside location. Isn't "in the year" unidiomatic?

"Today is the most interesting event in/of the year. It's the/a traditional sports event in our school. Anna is sure she will get the first place."

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If I am talking about an event that takes place every year, should I use "the traditional event" or "a traditional event"?
I am talking about the school as a general location. If the event takes place inside the school would it be better to say "in"? As far as I know, native speakers use "in" only if it is important to specify the inside location. Isn't "in the year" unidiomatic?

"Today is the most interesting event in/of the year. It's the/a traditional sports event in our school. Anna is sure she will get the first place."
Try:

Today the most interesting event of the year is being held at our school. Anna is sure she will win first place.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Try:

Today the most interesting event of the year is being held at our school. Anna is sure she will win first place.
Why is the definite article removed before "first"?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Beacause we don't normally use it with ordinal number + place.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Beacause we don't normally use it with ordinal number + place.
It's not used with the word "place". Are there other words with which it's not used?

Status
Not open for further replies.