Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
India
Credit

"Your results suggest a 60% inclination or likelihood of manifesting HPD Traits"

I think this one may be formal: "Your results suggest a 60% inclination towards HPD"

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Would you like to try to tell us in greater depth what question you really have in mind?

In what sense are you using the word 'formal'?

Jameskili

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
India
"Your results suggest a 60% inclination or likelihood of manifesting HPD Traits" conveys the same meaning as the shorter sentence "Your results suggest a 60% inclination towards HPD" in a formal tone. I want to know whether the second one is better or the first one.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"Your results suggest a 60% inclination or likelihood of manifesting HPD Traits" conveys the same meaning as the shorter sentence "Your results suggest a 60% inclination towards HPD" in a formal tone. I want to know whether the second one is better or the first one.
What do you mean by "better"? They're both grammatically correct. Are you suggesting that adding "or likelihood" makes the sentence less formal? Or more formal? I can't work out what you're getting at.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I think I understand what you're asking now. When you say 'formal', you mean more academically precise.

Your results suggest a 60% inclination or likelihood of manifesting HPD Traits.

Yes, you're right that that's not quite right.

I think this one may be formal: "Your results suggest a 60% inclination towards HPD"

Yes, that's a bit better because you've used towards, which is the correct preposition to go with inclination. Also, you've removed the word traits, which is right since you've also removed the verb manifesting. However, the value of 60% represents a likelihood (a statistical probability), not an inclination, so the best way to say it is:

Your results suggest a 60% likelihood of manifesting HPD traits.

Alternatively, remove the value of 60% to make a more general statement:

Your results suggest an inclination towards HPD.