Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi.

These poems, which were mostly written during the last year of her life, chronicle the traumatic developments taking place in her personal life and were to make for her a reputation as a first rate poet. But it wasn't until 1982, almost twenty years after her death, that her posthumously published 'Collected poems' won the Pulitzer Prize for literature. Since this time the fascination and intrigue with her work has continued to grow. Very few modern poets have captured the popular imagination as much as Plath, even to the extent that in 2003 a movie was made about her life and her intense relationship with husband and fellow poet Ted Huges.

Source: Exam English - TOEFL® Listening: Lecture 1

What does "intense relationship" mean in this context?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It's alluding largely to Hughes' affair with Assia Wevill, and the effect this had on Plath's mental stability, among other things.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
But it wasn't until 1982, almost twenty years after her death, that her posthumously published 'Collected Poems' won the Pulitzer Prize for Literature. Since this time, the fascination and intrigue with her work has continued to grow. Very few modern poets have captured the popular imagination as much as Plath, even to the extent that in 2003 a movie was made about her life and her intense relationship with husband and fellow poet Ted Hughes.
I'm not sure if the errors I've corrected above were made by the person who wrote the script subtitles on the site (I can't watch it) or if they were made by you when you copied it.