Student or Learner
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Germany
Chinese jump rope - Wikipedia

Is it natural to say the kids are playing Chinese jump rope?

At my school, that was called "French skipping".

At my school, that was called "French skipping".
I see but then what kind of collocation is the most natural then? Play French skipping?

I'm having to think back a loooooong time about this, but yes, I might have used "play" with it. Remember that, especially when answering a question, we frequently don't use complete sentences!

Helen: What shall we play/do next?
John: French skipping!

Mum: What were you two doing in the back garden?
Kids: French skipping!

The kids' answer is a shortened form of "We were playing/doing French skipping".

So, in answer to your original question, if someone asked me what the kids in the photo were doing, I'd just say "French skipping" (or "Chinese jump rope" if that's what you call it). As a standalone sentence, I have no preference between "The kids in the photo are French skipping", "The kids in the photo are playing French skipping" and "The kids in the photo are doing French skipping".

Also asked here.

• Thanks
Reactions: 5jj
@Idk2222 Please don't post the same question to multiple forums at the same time. It risks responders wasting their time. Post on one forum, then wait at least 24 hours for responses. If, after that, you haven't received satisfactory responses, feel free to post on another forum but always provide a link to the first forum so we can see their answers too.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back