Is it common to greet good afternoon and good evening?

Status
Not open for further replies.

goodstudent

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
It is very common to say "good morning". (e.g. good morning, can I speak to Peter?) (good morning, can I help you)(good morning (to greet someone as a form of saying hello))

Is it common to say good afternoon and good evening? (e.g. good afternoon/evening, can I speak to Peter?) (good afternoon/evening, can I help you) (good afternoon/evening (to greet someone as a form of saying hello))

It seems like I do not hear much good afternoon/evening.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Depending on the time of day that you are making the phone call (I assume it's a phone call due to "Can I speak to Peter?"), you can use "Good morning/afternoon/evening" as appropriate.
I find them rather formal but I don't make formal business phone calls. I just start with "Hello" or "Hi".

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
The title should have been, "Is it common to greet people with "good morning" and "good evening?"

goodstudent

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
Depending on the time of day that you are making the phone call (I assume it's a phone call due to "Can I speak to Peter?"), you can use "Good morning/afternoon/evening" as appropriate.
I find them rather formal but I don't make formal business phone calls. I just start with "Hello" or "Hi".

I usually start with Hello or Hi too. I guess in the morning I hear more "good morning" or "morning" as a replacement of saying hello when people meet each other in office. In the afternoon I usually only hear "hello" instead of "good afternoon" as a greeting when people meet each other in office.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I usually start with "Hello" or "Hi" too. I guess in the morning I hear more "Good morning" or "Morning" as a replacement [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] for saying "Hello" when people meet each other in the office. In the afternoon, I usually only hear "Hello" instead of "Good afternoon" as a greeting when people meet each other in the office.

Note my amendments above. I think you're probably right that people use "Good morning" more often than "Good afternoon/evening". The chances are that if they're working together in an office, they probably see each other for the first time in the morning so that's the time of day that they might us a more formal greeting. If they bump into each other again later in the day, it would be more natural to just use "Hello" or "Hi".

goodstudent

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
Note my amendments above. I think you're probably right that people use "Good morning" more often than "Good afternoon/evening". The chances are that if they're working together in an office, they probably see each other for the first time in the morning so that's the time of day that they might us a more formal greeting. If they bump into each other again later in the day, it would be more natural to just use "Hello" or "Hi".

Is it a must to capitalise the first letter of the first word if it is inside a quote " " ?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If you are quoting an entire sentence, yes. If you are quoting a single word that does not constitute an entire sentence, no.

I think more people say "Good morning" than "Good afternoon" these days. ("Good morning" and "Good afternoon" are entire sentences so they should start with a capital letter.)
I think more people say "very" than "extremely" these days. (The two words in quotes do not constitute entire sentences. They are just standalone single words which are being mentioned.)

Status
Not open for further replies.