Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
Sri Lanka
Current Location
Spain
Sentence: With regard to the certain information in the screenshot being obscured, it was done for protecting the privacy.

PS: By obscured I mean that certain information has been blackened/darkened/blurred in the screenshot..I hope you get what I mean by that.

Question: I am not being able to figure out whether the "being" is needed there in the sentence or not. Could you help me? I need the help urgently.

Thanks

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Certain information in the screenshot was obscured to protect privacy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Joe333

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
Sri Lanka
Current Location
Spain
Could you tell that without modifying my sentence? That will be more helpful. :)

Joe333

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
Sri Lanka
Current Location
Spain
Would anyone else like to reply? C'mon you are native English speakers, it should not be that difficult for you.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Would anyone else like to reply? C'mon you are native English speakers, it should not be that difficult for you.
It's not difficult at all. But your first post was at 13:11, and you're giving hurry-up notices at 13:25.
That might turn some people off answering.

Joe333

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
Sri Lanka
Current Location
Spain
My sincere apology. Actually, I urgently needed the help.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Sentence: With regard to the certain information in the screenshot being obscured, it was done for protecting the privacy.

PS: By obscured I mean that certain information has been blackened/darkened/blurred in the screenshot..I hope you get what I mean by that.

Question: I am not being able to figure out whether the "being" is needed there in the sentence or not. Could you help me? I need the help urgently.

Thanks

With regard to certain information in the screenshot being obscured, this was done for reasons of privacy.
With regard to certain information in the screenshot being obscured, this was done to protect privacy.

Please note that even though you didn't want the construction changed, the suggestion that BarbD gave you was much better and neater than yours. It is very wordy to use "With regard to .... being obscured". Information like that should be put as succinctly as possible.

Certain information has been obscured/hidden to protect privacy.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
'Being' is needed in the sentence, but 'the' before 'certain' and 'the' before 'privacy' are not.

Rover

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Question: I am not [STRIKE]being [/STRIKE] [this being was certainly NOT needed] able to figure out whether [STRIKE]the [/STRIKE]"being" is needed there in the sentence or not. Could you help me? I need the help urgently.

Thanks

charliedeut

BobK

Harmless drudge
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Could you tell that without modifying my sentence? That will be more helpful. :)

Barb used 'certain' because the words 'With regard to the' were unnecessary, and she changed the structure of the sentence because it was unnecessarily complex. She respected your original wording in the case of 'obscured', which I'd have changed to 'blacked out' or 'redacted', depending on register'.

b

Joe333

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
Sri Lanka
Current Location
Spain
Thanks you all guys. I read comments of you all, it really helped. Reason I did not want a change in the sentence was because I was clarifying to someone for obscuring some part in the screenshot. It was my reply to him/her, and it was looking fine to me in the context I was writing it. My construction was lengthy, I agree, but I felt it should be like that. :)

Once again I thanks you all. :)

Regards

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.